·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
200 Posts
"best" very complicated

I'm sure they are great....maybe even the best. But I won't spend the kind of money it takes to wear Rapha or Assos bibs. They aren't worth the cost to someone who actually budgets cycling expenditures and needs several sets of bibs and jerseys each week.
Shoot, why even spend more than $100? I've been riding and buying stuff for over 20 years and I've found that the increase in performance and comfort once you get beyond the mid-range goods is marginal while the cost increase is often huge. I also want to wash them and throw them in the dryer and not worry about whether or not I'm ruining some super-expensive kit. So, I ride quite happily in $70 bibs and $100 shoes and let others blow their cash on the "best". If they work for you and you can afford them...great. But I think "best" should also apply to "best value" instead of only "absolute best." The mid-range stuff works great and doesn't blow a huge hole in the wallet.

·
Registered
650 Posts
bikemoore said:
I'm sure they are great....maybe even the best. But I won't spend the kind of money it takes to wear Rapha or Assos bibs. They aren't worth the cost to someone who actually budgets cycling expenditures and needs several sets of bibs and jerseys each week.
Shoot, why even spend more than $100? I've been riding and buying stuff for over 20 years and I've found that the increase in performance and comfort once you get beyond the mid-range goods is marginal while the cost increase is often huge. I also want to wash them and throw them in the dryer and not worry about whether or not I'm ruining some super-expensive kit. So, I ride quite happily in $70 bibs and $100 shoes and let others blow their cash on the "best". If they work for you and you can afford them...great. But I think "best" should also apply to "best value" instead of only "absolute best." The mid-range stuff works great and doesn't blow a huge hole in the wallet.
Hmmm... where have I heard this before...

G

·
loudog said:
^^then you should start the "best value thread"
Agreed.
I don't spend money on a lot of things that I would otherwise so that I can afford the nice cycling stuff because that's where I spend a lot of my time. We only live once, so why not have the nice stuff, at least the stuff that's going to make a difference in comfort. Yea blingy wheels, frames, this and that I can understand, but bibs will make the ride more comfortable, so who cares if they're a little more expensive. Factor that into how many hours a year you spend on the bike and it's nothing.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Have you put some serious mileage on them yet? I'm wondering if the seam where the mesh and none mesh part join is annoying?

Regarding "best:" Right - I've got a closet full of $70-100 bibs that I really dislike for one reason or another and won't wear unless an absolute emergency. If they work for you, great. They don't for me, so they're essentially of no value to me. I'd gladly trade them all, well over $350 purchase price, for a pair of the Rapha's, or better yet, some Assos FI.13 S5's. And from my experience with the mid-price bibs, my Assos last twice as long, I can send them for free repair, etc.

G

·
And from my experience with the mid-price bibs, my Assos last twice as long
Exactly, cheap bibs fall by the wayside pretty fast. I have tried several that were fine at first but in no time were unrideable. My Assos bibs look pretty much just like they did the day I bought them. And as far as:

I also want to wash them and throw them in the dryer and not worry about whether or not I'm ruining some super-expensive kit.
Other than placing my bibs in the bags they came with, I throw my bibs in the laundry with everything else and then dry them on a hanger when I get done, pretty simple.

I do like the Giordana Forma bibs as well, I haven't been riding in them long enough to tell if they will hold up as well as some of the others but so far they are my favorite. The best of both worlds for me would be the chamois from the Assos Mille sewn in the Forma bibs.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I went through all of the big names untl I found that the Capo Forma were the only ones that worked with my anatomy. None of the others put the pad in the right place for my sit bones. I think you will find that shorts and saddles are bigtime YMMV types of choices. That said, I have some Raphas on the way. I've just got to try them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.