Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I have been looking for a road bike for quite sometime. I have narrowed it down to the following:

Giant TCR 2- $1250
Cannondale R700 or R800 (i am not sure exactly how they differ so much) $1150-$1450
Specialized Allez Elite- $??? (i have gotten a price from a lbs yet)
Bianchi Giro- $1300
All with 105 drive train

I've also looked at Trek 2100, Felt 65, Masi Gran Corsa, and Fuji Roubix RC but have ruled them out for various reasons, mostly value. I didn't like the way the Trek ride felt. Anyway, I was just seeing if anyone had any suggestions or if there was another bike I should look at. I eventually can upgrade different things, but for now I am on a really tight bike budget.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt elimante the felt for value, but I have just heard alot of bad things about Felt bikes. Value? I got interested in Felt for its value. At my LBS an Ultegra F65 was $1400. But after alot of research and advice, I realized you get what you pay for!

·
Banned
381 Posts
If I have to pick from the list, I would probably go for Cannondale.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
You should consider the Moto Le champ SL in that price range for a race bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You have some nice bikes to choose from.

My question for you is, "Why are you looking at new bikes?"
Look at the classified section here in RBR or go to eBay. I just bought a lightly used Specialized Allez Pro (full Dura Ace) for less than any of the bikes you are considering.
Do yourself and a fellow RBR fan a favor and look here first.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
They're all gonna be fine.

It's pushing a little over $1500, but 2 folks I know LOVE their flyte SRS-2s. The 3 is right at your price range in Ultegra.

If you're not wrench-prone and want an LBS-sourced bike due to shop relationship, etc., the c'dale does its thing pretty well. Lots of satisfied customers. Giant is probably as good, but I don't know as much about them. At this level there resolution between models is pretty coarse.

·
Registered
896 Posts
i bought the TCR 2

I jsut bought the TCR 2 back in Jan. I have raced in 3 times now, and done some longish team rides. I like this bike alot. really have no complaints. its light, the 105 drivetrain is smooth and accurate, the bike is very comfortable. I put some nice Look pedals on it and a computer, and that's all. at this stage of my racing career(cat 5), I really think that this is plenty of bike for me. I don't think you can go wrong with this bike

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have no intention of racing again in the near future, but I've been super happy with my R700 that I picked up last fall. It had been some 15 years since I've riden a race ready bike, and it's just a dream - great frame and geometry for the price, quality wheelset, solid 105 componentry. Last year they were built with an Ultegra rear derailleur, I think that might be one of the differences between the R700 and R800?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ask your LBS to call Giant and order an '05 TCR Composite Limited. Thats what I did a couple weeks ago and picked mine up for $1499 plus the shop threw in a free pair of Sidi Genius 4 shoes.

It's Ultegra shifters, cassette, derailleurs, Truvativ crank, tektro brakes, Xero wheels. It should get you started and you can upgrade the wheels, brakes, and crank down the road.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doc D, I just search for Tcr Composite Limited. I found them selling for $1700-$1800, and I didnt find anything on the Giant site. It def sounds like a sweet bike, but what is so different, and why are the priced so much cheaper?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I just spent alot of time in that section. I liked the Cannondale 1000 60cm. It looks like a great deal, but Ive always been hesitant of buying used things, and things online. Im a pretty froogle guy, so I cant afford a finacial mistake that large. I will always feel alot better when I ride the actually bike I will buy.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that giant limited sounds like the best deal, because I love the giant frame TCR design, but I doubt I could get it for $1499. my LBS has a habit of putting EVERYTHING at msrp. The bike I was most considering was a TCR 2 alum.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Teffisk,

The TCR Limited was a limited edition '05 model. It wasn't made this year. It is listed on Giant's site under the '05 models. My LBS told me that the factory still had some from '05 and said they were a great deal. They MSRP'd at $1900 in '05.

Call a few bike shops that carry Giant and have them call the factory to see if they can still order one in your size. You should get considerably better price than $1900 because it's an '05 closeout.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts