Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have searched through the forum for advice on what bikes are good for tall heavy riders, and again and again I hear that the best bike is the bike that feels the best and the only way to know is to have a test ride.

Unfortunately no one nearby (I’m in Sydney, Australia) stocks any bikes big enough (I am 6ft7, 105 kilos – 230ish pounds, and a 36-inch inseam), so there is no opportunity to test ride any bikes. The advice that I have been given is that 63cm Cannondales and Treks might be the way for me to go, but they would have to order them in for me.

I have now found what seems to be a great bargain in the US, and they can ship to Australia. I don’t want to spend any more than I have to, but I don’t want to get a cheaper set up if I’m going to be trashing my bike the whole time because of my weight (and because I’m a newbie rider!).

The two that sound good are:-

2005 Cannondale R1000 (&R1000 Triple) - $1,000US
2005 Trek 2100C - $1,000

They also have a few others of interest, but as a novice, I don’t know if I need anything better than the two previous bikes.

2005 Cannondale Six13 R2000 (& Compact Drive) - $1,400
2005 Trek 2300 - $1,300
2005 Trek 2300C - $1,400
2005 Trek Pilot 5.0 - $1,400
2005 Trek Pilot 5.2 - $1,700

Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure I get the right bike! Your assistance will be much appreciated!

ps. What's a clydesdale?!?:confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Go with the Cannondale

I have a 38.5 inch inseam, and ride a 63 Cannondale. I think the Cannondale will be quite a bit larger than the 62 Trek. I am only 6'4", so it appears that you have quite a long torso. You would probably need a 13,14 cm stem. Good luck

·
Banned
141 Posts
chibs said:
Hi there,

I have searched through the forum for advice on what bikes are good for tall heavy riders, and again and again I hear that the best bike is the bike that feels the best and the only way to know is to have a test ride.

Unfortunately no one nearby (I’m in Sydney, Australia) stocks any bikes big enough (I am 6ft7, 105 kilos – 230ish pounds, and a 36-inch inseam), so there is no opportunity to test ride any bikes. The advice that I have been given is that 63cm Cannondales and Treks might be the way for me to go, but they would have to order them in for me.

I have now found what seems to be a great bargain in the US, and they can ship to Australia. I don’t want to spend any more than I have to, but I don’t want to get a cheaper set up if I’m going to be trashing my bike the whole time because of my weight (and because I’m a newbie rider!).

The two that sound good are:-

2005 Cannondale R1000 (&R1000 Triple) - $1,000US
2005 Trek 2100C - $1,000

They also have a few others of interest, but as a novice, I don’t know if I need anything better than the two previous bikes.

2005 Cannondale Six13 R2000 (& Compact Drive) - $1,400
2005 Trek 2300 - $1,300
2005 Trek 2300C - $1,400
2005 Trek Pilot 5.0 - $1,400
2005 Trek Pilot 5.2 - $1,700

Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure I get the right bike! Your assistance will be much appreciated!

ps. What's a clydesdale?!?:confused:
If I were you, I would get that Six13.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The price looks good, but don't forget, customs and GST. While GST is only 10%, you should check out customs clears costs. They can add particularly if you don't do it youself. I would check out the customs web site for more details.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Cannondale 63cm is bigger than the Trek

I have owned both (and am 6'5", 240lbs with a 34.5" inseam). You will need a ton of headset spacers and a mile long seatpost (at least a 300mm post) to work with the Trek). The C'dale 63cm is a big frame and will work better as it is closer to the size you need. You should be able to work with stem length and seatpost length and get a pretty good fit.

Down the road you may want to save your pennies and look at a custom frameset. I ride a custom Seven that is bascially a 65cm. Big issue here is it will set you back ALOT more than $1,000.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had good luck getting a custom frame built from a chinese Ti company. cost me 750 USD (shipped) from Bejing to Florida. I'm 6'7" with a 36" inseam and weigh 240 lbs. I also picked up the Zinn model Alpha-Q Z-Pro Tall-stack fork with the double-thick carbon steerer for a reasonable cost. I strongly reccomend the frame, and the fork for heavy-duty service.. Fwiw, the company still has my blueprint on file, so ordering a copy, or modified version would be easy as pie.

The proportions make it hard to see how big the bike is, but for reference, the top tube is 63.1cm long.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46091&stc=1&d=1141537713

Other photos are on the "Post your Bike Pics" thread.

let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.