Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get back into riding after a few years away. Badly need the exercise. I am looking for a few good recommendations to look at. I am 5'9" and 245. I have a muscular build so I need a good bike that will take the natural abuse that I will give it. Brand doesn't really concern me as I don't have any kind of brand loyalty at this time. I would like to stay under 1k if possible.

Thanks for the help.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
If it were me, I'd look at an all steel frame. You should be able to get one with decent components & pretty sturdy wheels for around $1K. Aluminum would be all right too, but I hate the way it rides. I've had a couple of alum. frames, and God willing, I'll never have another. You might wat to take a look at the classified section here, or the bikes at Performance.com. They have lots on sale right now. Whatever you do, make you're getting a bike that fits you well. That's very important.

Good luck in your search.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Used!

CTYankeeboy said:
I am looking to get back into riding after a few years away. Badly need the exercise. I am looking for a few good recommendations to look at. I am 5'9" and 245. I have a muscular build so I need a good bike that will take the natural abuse that I will give it. Brand doesn't really concern me as I don't have any kind of brand loyalty at this time. I would like to stay under 1k if possible.

Thanks for the help.
IMO you should shop for the right wheels. Whatever bike comes with them will work fine for you in that price range. Consider running 25 mm tires instead of 23s

Wheels are probably the first thing that most people spend money on to upgrade a bike. So why not start there to begin with.

Open pros with Michelin 25's would be a good choice. Search the "wheels and tires" forum for other wheel recommendations for Clydesdales. There are many choices.

Of course fit is a must but at 5'9" there will be a ton of bikes out there that fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts