Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Best Bike for the Price

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Lifelover 
#1 ·
Alright, maybe this isn't the best place to post this, but I figured since this is the general forum it wouldn't hurt. So I'm trying to figure out the highest quality bike for the $700 range to the low $1000s. If someone would help me out it'd be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Personally i would say buy used. Bikes are like cars in the fact that right after you use a new bike it is then "used" and depreciates quickly, therefore you may be able to get a 2 year old $2000 for around a $1000. The best way to do this is to check Craigslist for your local area and if you think you can find a bike that fits, try ebay. But just remember that everyone hear on RBR will tell you that the most important factor in buying a bike is fit, so i would try to buy locally and take it for a test ride before you buy it.

#7 ·
well i would look at the specialized allez series, i personally just picked one up and it works great. also consider scott speedsters which are also very nice. i personally do not like bikesdirect because the bikes have almost no resale value without a brand name.

#8 ·
dthomassps said:
Personally i would say buy used. Bikes are like cars in the fact that right after you use a new bike it is then "used" and depreciates quickly, therefore you may be able to get a 2 year old $2000 for around a $1000. The best way to do this is to check Craigslist for your local area and if you think you can find a bike that fits, try ebay. But just remember that everyone hear on RBR will tell you that the most important factor in buying a bike is fit, so i would try to buy locally and take it for a test ride before you buy it.
+1

Also, wait until September and try to score a year-end closeout deal. Usually they take 20-30% off summer prices.

#9 ·
I believe fuji bikes are known as value priced rides - I was looking at them - when I was shopping - but they had the new geometry the s-m-l setup - which I didn't understand or like so much. I was also looking for a value - and desiring a steel frame in traditional configuration - I settled on a Bianchi Brava - and I bought the prevous years model for $599. That left me some room to purchase the parts needed to customize the fit a bit - new stem for example - better pedals - etc.

I have two Fuji's in the garage - they've been fine bikes. I am happy with my Bianchi also.

#10 ·
#11 ·
wchane said:
the trek 1500 (with shimano 105)used to be a solid deal at that price point, the new 1.5 with tiagra/sora not so much.

this being said, if you're a 52cm i may have a bike for you.

I believe that's because the 105 is now a 10spd groupo and the tiagra/sora which used to be 8spd is now a 9spd and probably equal in performance to the old 9spd 105....that's just a guess though. You'll find all the manufacturers are doing the same.

Anyway I don't know if I'd agree that buying used to the right way to go, especially if its carbon plus their usually perks buying from an LBS like free maintenance, free labor, and I'm not sure if warranties on bikes are transferable so if a frame fails you might be SOL, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You might want to check out Cannondale Caad8 which is in the low $1000's about $1100-$1250.

#13 ·
best bike....

I know I have very limited experience here, but look at both new and used. If you you dont look, at new too, youll wonder. As for fit, I agree that a great fitting bike is very important. My riding position changes a little though about every other time i ride. If your going to buy used and are looking at a small range of frame sizes buy the smaller of the 2. It would seem you can adjust up, but not down. Also, take into account the maintenance before the bike names. Quality components that are broken down wont make you happy. Anyway good luck...

Wayne

#14 ·
SystemShock said:
Maybe not this year so much... I'm sure there's deals out there, but they may be harder to find and not last long when you do find 'em: :(

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=136698

I know a place that sells C & S, ships, and is doing about 20-30% off retail right now. I'd post the link but my last post with it got deleted, so PM me if you want it.

#15 ·
Jason1500 said:
I believe that's because the 105 is now a 10spd groupo and the tiagra/sora which used to be 8spd is now a 9spd and probably equal in performance to the old 9spd 105....that's just a guess though. You'll find all the manufacturers are doing the same.

Anyway I don't know if I'd agree that buying used to the right way to go, especially if its carbon plus their usually perks buying from an LBS like free maintenance, free labor, and I'm not sure if warranties on bikes are transferable so if a frame fails you might be SOL, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You might want to check out Cannondale Caad8 which is in the low $1000's about $1100-$1250.
i echo this. when i started looking for a road bike i ended up going with new

1) they fit me
2) they showed me what i needed
3) service and maintenance
4) had to build that relationship at some point
5) didn't know what to look for in a used bike

don't have any regrets in doing so.

#16 ·
Look through the classified ads here on this forum ... some great deals there in that price range and you will get huge bang-for-buck value there.

Also, I checked with local bike shop club and asked if they new of any current club members looking to upgrade or who had upgrade and were selling their used bikes. That way you are buying from a person who rides a lot and knows what they are doing in terms of upgrades. If you are lucky you will find something upgraded like crazy and get a good price.

#17 · (Edited)
I got my 5900 on Ebay for the high end of your range. Used certainly was the way to go for me as compared to dropping $5k+ on a similarly built new bike.

While a warranty would be nice, the $4k+ I saved on the bike will get me 2 frames through the Trek crash replacement policy if ever necessary (not likely). In the mean time, the money is in the bank.

#19 ·
Kestreljr said:
This is a tough time of a year to get a great deal on a bike, but this is a decent option, esp. since it's under $600. If you join Performance's membership and you buy it this weekend (add. 15% off), you can get this bike for $450.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=5820&subcategory_ID=3040
WOW

That is a good deal. I rode Sora for a full summer a couple of years ago and was very impressed.

When combined with a 10-15% discount and the Team Membership, Performance is very hard to beat. Better return policy and customer service than most internet, bike only dealers as well.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.