Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a Saris bones 3 for the past 5 years, it's a great rack but just went from an aluminum bike to a carbon bike. I don't know about you, but hanging a couple thousand dollars by the cross tube just doesn't settle with me very well. I'm getting a hitch installed on my car and want to know which standing rack is the best. I'm also looking for one in the price range of $200-$300. Let me hear what kinds that you have and why. I've read all kinds of reviews and nothing really stands out. Looking for some reviews from real cyclists, not the mom and pops carrying around their walmart bikes. Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I recently got a Swagman XTC2 from the LBS. It fits a class II hitch and can carry one or two bikes. If you just have one bike you can remove a set of wheel loops. I don't have a lot to compare it with but it seems sturdy enough to me with minimal sway. I like how easy it is to mount the bikes. Worth a look for $206

·
Registered
4 Posts
That looks like a very nice solution. I'm also looking for a hitch mount to replace a Saris bones now that I have an SUV. The Swagman XTC2 looks like a great deal compared to the Thule 2 I was looking at...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've put only carbon bikes on my Saris Bones 2-bike rack since 2005 and never had an issue.
I guess my main issue is that I usually have my wife's road bike on there as well and I'm usually having to arrange handlebars, tires, and cranks certain ways where they won't touch. On the first outing with the new bike, we went out and when we got back I noticed that her crank had rotated into the downtube and scratched the cf. Wasn't happy at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been REALLY pleased with the Saris CycleOn Pro...

Not Cheap, but should last a lifetime (like the warranty!). the only part of your bike touched is the tire/rim and it takes a whopping 20 seconds to load/unload bikes..

Good Luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been REALLY pleased with the Saris CycleOn Pro...

Not Cheap, but should last a lifetime (like the warranty!). the only part of your bike touched is the tire/rim and it takes a whopping 20 seconds to load/unload bikes..

Good Luck!
that rack looks very intriguing, I might have to save a little. I know you get what you pay for, especially in the cycling world. I like that nothing touches the frame.

·
I love to climb!
2,052 Posts
Thule T2 is over your $300 budget, but is the best rack out there in my opinion. I have been using one for years on the back of my Jeep. Easy to use, arrange for any two bikes, and nothing touches the frames whatsoever.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The 1-UP USA bike rack is not really in your budget either but is the bike rack I would get if I had a hitch. Its about $300 for one bike and $500 for 2. But this one looks like its the quickest setup and only touches your tires. Everything else looks like it either touches your frame and/or your rims which one may care about if they have nice carbon rims. If you can sway yourself to spend more, this is a good choice.
1UPUSA.com :: Bicycle Racks

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
There's all kinds of bike racks, but I think hitch mounted racks are the most versatile because you can put it on any car, truck, van, or suv as long as you put a cheap Walmart or Auto Zone hitch on the rear of the vehicle. The hitch type will enable you to have just one rack for all your vehicles instead of two or three.

There are plenty of hitch styles out on the market, the one I got is called the Bonelocker, this is the most secured bike rack made so if your worried about someone stealing your bike while your eating this hitch would help. And the rack is very strong I can go on and on but just read about it here instead: Bonelocker: Premium Hitch Mounted Bike Carrier for your Truck, SUV, or Car Made in the USA

If you can work on bikes then you can install your own hitch, it doesn't require welding, just about 2 hours of time at the most. For smaller cars it's probably best to lift the back end up with jack stands or ramps (block the front tires) so you have room to craw under and work. Get the cheapest hitch because you won't be hauling more then 75 pounds and the cheapest hitch is rated for 3,500. And you'll need a hitch pin lock, the carrier itself comes with a lock for locking the rack and bicycles.

But a lot of those car racks for the rear end up scratching the paint and some will only fit specific cars like only hatch backs or only trunks; roof mounted jobs see bikes getting wiped out by garages, trees, low overhangs, drive-thru hanging bar, etc.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Why even bother doing it yourself? I just went to pep boys today and had a class III hitch installed for $49.00 in less than an hour. Here's the best part, they have a rebate going on right now til April something to get the entire cost of installation back...so it's free! Also got a 20% discount on the hitch so total cost was $215 with tax and have $49.00 coming back in rebate.

Anyway the whole CF bikes hanging from their top tubes has been debated ad naseum and I'm convinced it's not an issue. If you can clamp a wheel to a CF fork or stay, or clamp a CF seat tube, then a 20lb bike hanging with a much lighter rubber clamp on the top tube is nil in comparison. I just ordered the Thule 4 bike parkway from amazon which have a super discount going on right now for about $160 shipped. Anyway, if my CF bike explodes I'll report back.

There's all kinds of bike racks, but I think hitch mounted racks are the most versatile because you can put it on any car, truck, van, or suv as long as you put a cheap Walmart or Auto Zone hitch on the rear of the vehicle. The hitch type will enable you to have just one rack for all your vehicles instead of two or three.

There are plenty of hitch styles out on the market, the one I got is called the Bonelocker, this is the most secured bike rack made so if your worried about someone stealing your bike while your eating this hitch would help. And the rack is very strong I can go on and on but just read about it here instead: Bonelocker: Premium Hitch Mounted Bike Carrier for your Truck, SUV, or Car Made in the USA

If you can work on bikes then you can install your own hitch, it doesn't require welding, just about 2 hours of time at the most. For smaller cars it's probably best to lift the back end up with jack stands or ramps (block the front tires) so you have room to craw under and work. Get the cheapest hitch because you won't be hauling more then 75 pounds and the cheapest hitch is rated for 3,500. And you'll need a hitch pin lock, the carrier itself comes with a lock for locking the rack and bicycles.

But a lot of those car racks for the rear end up scratching the paint and some will only fit specific cars like only hatch backs or only trunks; roof mounted jobs see bikes getting wiped out by garages, trees, low overhangs, drive-thru hanging bar, etc.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have a swagman XC rack and it works great for my mtn bike or road bike. I do have bit of pipe insulation I put on the top tube make it a softer where the frame hook goes.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Why even bother doing it yourself? I just went to pep boys today and had a class III hitch installed for $49.00 in less than an hour. Here's the best part, they have a rebate going on right now til April something to get the entire cost of installation back...so it's free! Also got a 20% discount on the hitch so total cost was $215 with tax and have $49.00 coming back in rebate.

Anyway the whole CF bikes hanging from their top tubes has been debated ad naseum and I'm convinced it's not an issue. If you can clamp a wheel to a CF fork or stay, or clamp a CF seat tube, then a 20lb bike hanging with a much lighter rubber clamp on the top tube is nil in comparison. I just ordered the Thule 4 bike parkway from amazon which have a super discount going on right now for about $160 shipped. Anyway, if my CF bike explodes I'll report back.
While $49 is cheap why spend the money when you can do it yourself? And if you have more then one car then the you're paying for that times however many cars you have. BUT, if a person is not mechanically inclined that is a good option.

It took me two hours for the first one, the second and third one went on in about an hour, and I'm not a mechanical super person either, though I do work on my own cars and bikes etc to some degree.

·
Registered
553 Posts
While $49 is cheap why spend the money when you can do it yourself? And if you have more then one car then the you're paying for that times however many cars you have. BUT, if a person is not mechanically inclined that is a good option.

It took me two hours for the first one, the second and third one went on in about an hour, and I'm not a mechanical super person either, though I do work on my own cars and bikes etc to some degree.
I agree, I use Etrailer.com which ships fast and the hitches bolt right on in 30-40 minutes.

I have had many racks but a few of my friend's have 1up's and I just ordered one today. I should receive it this Thursday.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its a bit pricey ($400+) but I have the Thule T2 hitch rack. It clamps down on your wheel versus the frame, getting rid of any chance for damaging the frame. Super solid. Ive gone thousands of miles with it on the back of my truck with no problems.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.