Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who just bought a new frame and build kit. He lives overseas (Egypt) but will be home (Fort Collins) this summer. He sent the frame and build kit to his son in Wyoming, but his son goes back to Fort Collins pretty regularly.

I was wondering:
1. What is the best bike shop in Fort (subjective, I know, but you know what I mean).
2. Who would be the best guy to build up his dream bike--anyone know of a great mechanic who works at a great shop?
3. Do you know how much it would cost for someone to build up his bike for him? This is pretty specific to the area in which one lives, I think, so Fort/Boulder area replies would probably be most helpful. The steerer tube isn't cut, the BB isn't installed yet, and the headset cups aren't pressed in yet either.

He's trying to guess on a shop right now and I thought it would be better to try to get some local advice via RBR.

Thanks a lot for your help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
check out mtbrs bike shop review link for CO. although it's heavily mountain bike related, you will still get an idea of what shops to consider, and what shops not to consider.

·
Registered
81 Posts
At our shop a build from the ground up is about 180 bucks. Just curious, what kind of frame and what kind of components? I work at a primarily road shop in Greeley, CO which is just east of Fort Collins.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Well, I can say don't go to Lee's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tell him to check out larry at mountain high cyclery, he specializes in mountain stuff, but if I wanted someone to build up any bike for me in fort collins (loveland) he'd be it. I've had my bike to just about every shop in fort collins, and now if there's something I can't do myself I take it to him. He's a one man shop, so it's nice to know you're talking to the guy who's wrenching on your bike.
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Larry is very respected on MTBR. I don't know how much road work he does but he's a good wrench and a stand up guy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a Lynskey Cooper with an Ultegra/Ritchey/Mavic Aksium wheels build kit. $180 sounds close to what we used to charge when I worked at a shop. Cool, thanks. What is the name of your shop?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool--thanks. I'll pass along this link and your props regarding Larry. This was just the kind of info. I was hoping for. Thanks a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts