Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember doing a long-ish training ride about 15 years ago with quite a large group of pros (I was racing for a small pro-am team at the time). We had planned to only ride about 100km, which meant that I didn't bother to have breakfast before I set off. The ride got longer and longer (as they often tend to do) until I bonked spectacularly. The group left me on the side of a deserted road eating grass (this is no joke) because I was so hungry. About an hour later I managed to flag down a furniture truck, which gave me a lift to within 10km of my home. It still took me about 45 minutes to cover those final 10kms. Needless to say I polished off a loaf-and-a-half of bread (liberally adorned with peanut butter and maple syrup) and a couple of litres of Coke.
Can anyone out there beat that?

·
Registered
233 Posts
gizzard said:
Needless to say I polished off a loaf-and-a-half of bread (liberally adorned with peanut butter and maple syrup) and a couple of litres of Coke.
Uhhhh....? Sounds like 5,000-6,000 calories... That's a meal!

-Danimal

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Dunno what beats what, but here's mine.

At the Nipmuck Trail Marathon I lost my appetite about 15 miles out then gradually lost the ability to drink without getting nauseous. I stumbled along til I got to the tenth of a mile markers painted on trees that count down to the end of the race. At .2 miles I thought "it's an easy par four from here, thank God." A few steps later I had to go over a large boulder on the trail. Two small steps up, two small steps back down.

On the way down, both calves started cramping and I fell to the side of the trail. I lay there, listening to people at the end of the race laughing, but luckily they couldn't see me. I tried to get up and failed, twice. Finally, after about 15 minutes laying in the dirt, I got to my feet and shuffled to the finish. I haven't been able to drink Extran since and orange flavored drinks still make me shudder.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hungry

I was starting to look at my bar tape as a potential meal; I was so hungry I could have eaten a hyena arse-end first.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
There was this time I was with my girlfriend on what I thought was a "deserted beach" and....

oh, different sort of bonking.....

never mind!

A+

Philippe

·
Banned
608 Posts
I used to have one spectacular bonk nearly every Spring. Usually this would be due to overestimating my current level of fitness combined with strong winds that ravaged the valley I was living in during college. It was easy to get the wind at your back and feel good until it was time to turn around, and then it was a death march back home.

The worse I remember being blown fifty miles at 25+ mph, turning around, and then spending more than four hours grinding away with my largest cog, a 21, just slow as old sh!t on a cold day. I finally reach the edge of a built up area and start coasting down a slight slope. Staring with dead eyes at the road I saw a piece of red licorice glued to the asphalt. By the time my brain registered that it was food I had rolled passed it. I did not stop to eat it, but I know in my heart that the only reason I didn't is because the thought of turning around and climbing up to get it was too much to bear.

Later I found out that everything I knew about bonking from cycling was nothing compared to what can be learned from ultra-marathon trail running.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brilliant

I'm still laughing. There are only two types of cyclist; those who have bonked and those who are going to bonk. Period.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Coincidence

... that you brought this up because a thread posted yesterday about a chap getting "clocked" at high speed by a roadside speed checker reminded me of a time I bonked real bad.Headed out with a mixed bunch - about 50/50 of fit racing types & all day tourists. Plan was the tourists would peel off and enjoy a spin once the racers wound things up. But the ********** never told me when they dropped off and I ended up with the tough guys about 45 miles from home.
Things weren't too bad and like a fool I was working with the paceline instead of sitting at the back and hoping for the best. Like it sometines happens, one sec I was fine - next I blew completely. Left for dead, legs like jelly, dizzy - what more could I want? Oh yes - a nice freezing rain storm started.
Anyway, this is where yesterdays thread reminded me. About five miles from home was a long exposed drag.Tthe road was being widened with dangerous road works.Here I was facing into the gale force winds lashing the rain horizontally. The road builders had put up an electronic sign warning traffic to slow down and as you approached it read and displayed your speed. No cars were passing as I approached and I squinted through the rain. 6.5 mph - 7 mph ... I felt like dropping the bike and walking!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bike for sale? Anyone? Please

I remember a few years ago riding with a bloke who was suffering so much that he genuinely offered to sell his bike for what it would cost to call his wife to come and pick him up. Unfortunately for him no-one had any spare change, and there weren't any phone boxes in the immediate vicinity anyway. This was in the days before cell/mobile phones. I really don't know how we survived without them.
He managed to get home OK but he was 'crying' by that stage. Needless to say it screwed our ride up because we couldn't leave him. If we had he'd still be out there somewhere.

·
Registered
896 Posts
best televised bonk?

hawaii Ironman back in the 80's. I forget now whether it was a man/women, but they staggered, fell, crawled, cried, moaned and slithered the last few hundred yards accross the line. had lost control of all bodily functions. the images are still etched in my mind

gizzard said:
I remember a few years ago riding with a bloke who was suffering so much that he genuinely offered to sell his bike for what it would cost to call his wife to come and pick him up. Unfortunately for him no-one had any spare change, and there weren't any phone boxes in the immediate vicinity anyway. This was in the days before cell/mobile phones. I really don't know how we survived without them.
He managed to get home OK but he was 'crying' by that stage. Needless to say it screwed our ride up because we couldn't leave him. If we had he'd still be out there somewhere.

·
Registered
233 Posts
bauerb said:
hawaii Ironman back in the 80's. I forget now whether it was a man/women, but they staggered, fell, crawled, cried, moaned and slithered the last few hundred yards accross the line. had lost control of all bodily functions. the images are still etched in my mind
There was a Gatorade comercial on during last years TdF featuring the fellow that you are describing and showing the footage of said Ironman. He claimed his body "Shut down". Uh...yeah...I'll say!

-Danimal

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Wasn't that Julie Moss?

She was leading the women's race and was passed as she crawled towards the finish in 1982.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Even the Pros BONK

Both of you are correct... These BONKS during the finish of the Ironman happened to both of those competitors...

Personally, I like to think that Rasmussen BONKED during the final ITT of the 05 tour as well... otherwise, what excuse could a pro level guy really have for that lack of performance, the TT bike? The course design?

Did you see Lance get dehydrated during the TT in 04? I'm sure that's about as much of a BONK as we'll ever get to see out of him now though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:
Both of you are correct... These BONKS during the finish of the Ironman happened to both of those competitors...

Personally, I like to think that Rasmussen BONKED during the final ITT of the 05 tour as well... otherwise, what excuse could a pro level guy really have for that lack of performance, the TT bike? The course design?

Did you see Lance get dehydrated during the TT in 04? I'm sure that's about as much of a BONK as we'll ever get to see out of him now though.
He bonked big time in 2001 when he was busy chasing the late Pantani and did not eat.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Moss, Newby Fraser and Legh

There have been three notable bonks in Hawaii, although total body shutdown would be a more accurate description I think – the first being Julie Moss in 1981. Then there was Paula Newby Fraser in 1995 while she was leading, and then there was Australia's Chris Legh who lost part of his large intestine due to dehydration in the 1997 race. Let's also not forget Tim DeBoom who in 2003 passed a kidney stone during the race and as a result did not finish. Softy.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
About 15 years ago I did my first century, solo at that.

My goal was a sub six. While not a super time I was on my mountain bike.
I reached my goal by about a minute. I pushed so hard toward the end that I had nothing left to for the final 6 miles home. I took me over an hour for the last six miles.
106 miles from my apartment in college to my parents house.

I was planning on riding back the next day but due to the bonk, I had nothing left.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Sprocket - Matt said:
he didn't bonk, he cracked. total psychological shutdown, nothing to do with not eating enough.

·
Registered
949 Posts
botto said:
he didn't bonk, he cracked. total psychological shutdown, nothing to do with not eating enough.
Sorry Botto - You're right, there is HUGE difference between a BONK (which is food intake related usually) and a CRACK, where its your competitor just Stickin it to ya.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts