Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of cane creek 200SL brakes. Got them used and they do not stop real well and even clamping real hard on the levers I cannot lock a wheel if I wanted to. I know I may have old dried up pads so I want to try new ones but want to get what may grab the best. What should I get? Please only respond from personal experiences

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
JCavilia said:
https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html

Kool Stop Salmon. The Supra 2 model has nifty spherical washers that allow precise adjustment (much better than anybody's OEM pads).

+2 :thumbsup:

Kool Stop salmon pads are made from the same material as the now-gone Scott Mathauser brake-pads - which were the very best through the 1980's. And Scott helped design the Kool Stop. The "secret" ingredient, which is responsible for their color and eye-popping stopping-power, is ferric oxide: Rust. That orange color you see on iron that's been left out in the rain.

Scott Mathauser SuperBrake -

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O.k. 2 recommendations on the Kool stops. But here is the question, my existing pads are dura ace style cartridge pads that slide into holders. Will the ones pictured work as a direct replacement or do I need to stick with the dura style?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
schmalts said:
O.k. 2 recommendations on the Kool stops. But here is the question, my existing pads are dura ace style cartridge pads that slide into holders. Will the ones pictured work as a direct replacement or do I need to stick with the dura style?
They can directly replace your existing holder/pad combination. Unbolt the old, bolt on the new.

Or you can get Kool Stop pads that will slide into the holders you have. Maybe a tiny bit cheaper, though the Kool Stop mounting hardware is better than the dura ace holders.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Just buy the Kool Stop replacement pads. The ones you are looking for are called "Dura" to fit the Shimano brake shoes. What you could do is to get the brake shoe kit that includes a pair of holders with the salmon colored pads already mounted. They also come with a pair of replacement half salmon/half black pads. Mount the half/half pads on the rear and either mount the Kool Stop shoes/pads on the front or remove the pads from the KS shoes and mount them to your existing shoes. This is what I ended up doing: I bought two sets of these pad kits, used the shoes/pads on one bike with the half/half pads on the rear and used the remaining pads on a second bike that already had the Shimano brake shoes.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
while those salmon pads are the for sure the best pad you can get for those brakes...they still won't stop worth a damn compared to modern dual pivot brakes. you will get more friction from the koolstop pads, and that will help. get them as flat as possible when you mount them, to get the most surface area on the rim. the main problem is the brakes...they're not stiff, and they're single pivot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the Supra2 pads shown in the first picture. I will let you guys know if they made much of a difference when I get them in the mail.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I use the Kool Stop Thinline Dual Compound (black and salmon) for my v-brakes on my custom hybrid. Many people claim they scream like a Banshee. Toed-in, using their concentric washers - which makes it easy, they don't howl a word.

I use the Supra 2's on my vintage Puch (see my name?), which I outfitted with a pair of NOS Modolo Speedy red brakes, which works like a charm on the ceramic rims I use.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I have used the Mathausers. They're nice. My recommendation? Get the Kool Stops - they're significantly better. Personally, I like the black and salmon combination pads, but whatever...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.