Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Scope said:
I have tried kool stops. There is just no leverage in these damn brakes!
You may be laboring under a misapprehension. Enough "leverage" to enable front brake lock-up is something you don't want. Enough "leverage" to lock up the rear brake is something you want even less. Given those two facts, it's difficult to understand your problem. Do you have extremely weak hands?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I took out a 2010 2.3 that has 105 brakes and the bike stops so much better than my 2009 which has generic brakes. I have way better tires and lighter wheels on my 2009 which should make my 2009 stop quicker.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Scope said:
Well I took out a 2010 2.3 that has 105 brakes and the bike stops so much better than my 2009 which has generic brakes. I have way better tires and lighter wheels on my 2009 which should make my 2009 stop quicker.
1. Pads. 2. Pads. 3. Pads. 4. Brake adjustment. 5. Brake lever ergonomics. 6. Perception not based on facts, like deceleration values recorded). 7. and dead last: Brake brand and model.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Scope said:
I have a 2009 Trek 2.3 with the generic crap brakes. What are the best brake calipers for the money that will work with the 2009 105 levers?

Thanks.

105 calipers.

· Registered
69 Posts
Wow a lot of suggestions for new pads for an OP who said he has tried kool stop pads. My wifes entry level Trek bike also has horrible brakes, squeezing them they feel like mush, and afterwards the springs aren't strong enough to come immediately back to the starting postition. So she has horrible brake rub for 30 seconds after the initial braking. I adjust her brakes the same way I adjust mine, so I don't think it's an adjustment issue.

To the OP: almost any road caliper brakes will work fine with your levers. I would think a used set of 105's or Rivals off of ebay would be your best bet, assuming you don't want to spend too much money.
Joe

· Registered
5,084 Posts
I have some tekkro 530 crap brakes on my cdale. They sucked first ride. Granted, I'm used to 180 mm mtb disk brakes, but these just felt wrong. So, I replaced the pads and holders with Shimano Ultergra. What a nice brake setup I have now. I can stop confidently going downhill at 35 mph to 0 coming to a stop sign (Black Rd coming from Skyline blvd)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.