Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know.............Wearing a camelback is a fashion no-no for roadies, but I'm new to the sport and my Camelback Mule I used for mtb'ing just seems to big and bulky for the road.

What has been other roadies' experiences with Camelback's? Is there a smaller pack that is sleek and can still store an air canister and a few tubes?

Thanks in advance for any adivce!

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I have one made by Blackburn that is pretty sleek AND has reasonable room for a jacket, some food, or whatever. It's not much larger that a minimalist waterpack, but includes storage with a full-length zipper. The large, full-size waterpacks seem to be overkill for road cycling, and the minimalist neoprene ones with no storage lack the ability to carry any extra clothing, a lock, or whatever. I tend to use my waterpack for long unsupported rides when I need more than just 2 bottles of water and/or the ability to carry a few extra clothes or to shed a few. The last time I looked there weren't alot of options in the size range that I like.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Don't worry about Fredism

At least you're out there riding your bike. I would think that the Camelback rocket would be a great road hydration pack. 70oz and a little space for some extra things to carry when the weather changes or to avoid bonking on longer rides. It also has a semi internal frame to keep it off your back for ventilation.

Bob.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
In Southern Arizona a Camelbak or something like it is mandetory equipment for 7 months out of the year for any distances over 20 miles. By May I will use one every day, and probably stop and refill it and my two water bottles on any ride over about 30 miles. I have a reasonably small one that holds 70 ounces, and some stuff. Go to a bike shop and look. You should be able to find one you like.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Check your state laws. Camelbacks are illegal to use in some states when riding on the roads.

The law got passed in my state by a strong lobbying effort by the local bicycle road racing clubs, the convenience store alliance, and the bottled water companies.

The racing clubs cited image assault as the reason, while the convenience store alliance and water companies claimed loss of income as the reason for the law change.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
bigrider said:
Check your state laws. Camelbacks are illegal to use in some states when riding on the roads.

The law got passed in my state by a strong lobbying effort by the local bicycle road racing clubs, the convenience store alliance, and the bottled water companies.

The racing clubs cited image assault as the reason, while the convenience store alliance and water companies claimed loss of income as the reason for the law change.
:eek: :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
The old Razor

was the best for road riding. They don't make it anymore, and mine is falling apart after 6 years of riding. You want the one with the baffled 72oz reservoir.
The next best thing in the current lineup is probably the Zoid (low weight), or the military one, the stealth. Both are low profile. Just remove all the unnecessary cr*p they put on, like zipper loops, tube covers, etc. and you'll be fine.

Michael
----------------------------
Ride, rinse, repeat.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Indyfan said:
At least you're out there riding your bike. I would think that the Camelback rocket would be a great road hydration pack. 70oz and a little space for some extra things to carry when the weather changes or to avoid bonking on longer rides. It also has a semi internal frame to keep it off your back for ventilation.

Bob.
I've got a Rocket, and it's pretty good. I don't carry it much on the road bike, though. There's really very little room in it for anything but water. I can carry a couple of Clif bars and a basic tire repair kit and multi-tool, but not much else--just a bit more than I can get into my fairly small seat bag. Certainly no room to stuff a jacket or anything.

It's pretty compact, though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
browncow3636 said:
I know, I know.............Wearing a camelback is a fashion no-no for roadies, but I'm new to the sport and my Camelback Mule I used for mtb'ing just seems to big and bulky for the road.

What has been other roadies' experiences with Camelback's? Is there a smaller pack that is sleek and can still store an air canister and a few tubes?

personally, i'd rather have 2 bottle cages on my frame and 2 on my seatpost than wear a camelback. for comfort mostly, but looks too.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I wear one when I commute because my one usuable bottle cage holds the battery pack for my headlight. I have the 50oz Siren which pretty much only holds water. It rides high so that I can wear the required reflective stuff to ride on base. It has a pocket where you could put a cell phone and some small stuff, but that is about it. I commute on a fendered bike with a rack and bag, I ooze fred. Since 80% of my riding is commuting, when I ride my race bike I find myself reaching up to my shoulder for the tube before I realize that I am carrying bottles and no camel back. I have a large camelback, I think it is a mule, that I wear on laundry day to haul large amounts of clean clothes to work and haul home bulky items like towels and uniforms. I do this every other week.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
I've got the Rogue. I think it holds 72 oz, but don't quote me on that... I haven't worn it in a while. The last time was at the (not so) Hotter Than Hell. Very handy though. Pump pocket and two other small pockets to stash stuff in. One will hold a CD player I think, never put one in there.

Now I just have two polar bottles on my frame. This summer I might bust it out a time or two on my longer rides, we'll have to see...

·
off the back
15,267 Posts
the Rogue or the Rocket. i've got the Rocket and wear it on all my rides. screw the elitist roadie fashion police.

·
Registered
401 Posts
bigrider said:

Bigrider, in which state do you live? Passing a law prohibiting the use of Camelbaks would be absolute idiocy. How did the racing clubs define "image assault"?

rufus said:
screw the elitist roadie fashion police.
You said it, Rufus. It's ridiculous that people are concerned about their "image" while riding a bike to begin with, but it's <i>amazing</i> to see people convinced that using one hydration system will make them look less "cool" than another.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
WhiskeyNovember said:
Bigrider, in which state do you live? Passing a law prohibiting the use of Camelbaks would be absolute idiocy. How did the racing clubs define "image assault"?
I think Bigrider had his tongue firmly in cheek when he wrote that. He did fail to post the requisite "Humor Required" warning sign, though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
alienator said:
I think Bigrider had his tongue firmly in cheek when he wrote that. He did fail to post the requisite "Humor Required" warning sign, though.
Ah, gotcha. You know, given our legal system, it was juuuuust believable enough...

·
Registered
154 Posts
browncow3636 said:

None...I use 3 Polar Bottles, a double-holder behind my seat & one under my bar...

·
Registered
727 Posts
There is a thread in a similar vein to this one about reflectors on road bikes. I think if you can pedal comfortably at 24 mph in 53x12 with hands on top, wearing baggy plaid shorts from CostCo, T-shirt, and Camelback, on a bike with pie plate and front and rear reflectors (including those on both wheels) . . . nobody's gonna laugh at you :D.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts