Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering what camelbak model is the best for under the jersey? there is an evening road race series out in the desert here in az, and with temps over 100, im thinkin the camelbak would be the way to go along with water in cages.

·
Registered
50 Posts
check out hydrapak as well...

tcpike said:
wondering what camelbak model is the best for under the jersey? .
There is another brand worthy of looking into...Hydrapak. Several domestic pros are using Hydrapak's "race" model under the jerseys, especially during a TT. Seems to be the ideal model for under the jersey; some beleive the shape/ model assists in aerodynamics.

Another unique feature within all hydrapaks ... the ability to undo a top clamp, reach in and thoroughly clean the inside bladder as needed. The nozzle is a well though out design as well.
http://www.hydrapak.com/catalog/product10.htm

ride on,
joe mudd

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bobby Julich has used a CamelBak on several occasions including the Tour de France and Olympic TT. The RaceVest which is CamelBak's prototype isn't available though, so don't hold your breath.

http://www.outdoornewswire.com/v/current/htdocs/etc/sa.php/63617465676f72794c6162656c3d416476656e74757265526163696e67266c6f636174696f6e3d323030352f30372f313132303636303131362672737349643d31323433

Keep in mind that alot of the CamelBaks are insulated, so your back is effectively shielded and get toasty, potentially overheating.

Bottles fit into jersey pockets nicely or if you prefer, they have bottle cages that attach to the seatpost (used by triatheletes) so you could potentially carry 4 bottles on your bike.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Didn't they ban the use of Camelback types water retainers about a year or so ago in TT as they said it gave an unfair advantage due to the wind resistance? I might be wrong but im pretty sure i read it somewhere

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
tcpike said:
wondering what camelbak model is the best for under the jersey? there is an evening road race series out in the desert here in az, and with temps over 100, im thinkin the camelbak would be the way to go along with water in cages.
They made one specifically for TTing, called the Rocket. And there just so happens to be one on ebay right now:

·
Registered
305 Posts
shawndoggy said:
They made one specifically for TTing, called the Rocket. And there just so happens to be one on ebay right now:

Funny you should bring that up. [shameless plug] I have a Rocket (new, never used) that I was about to throw up on ebay [/shameless plug]

On topic: Unless you were TT'ing, I can't see the need to wear one under your jersey. Esp if you're doing longer rides, I'd imagine that the Camelbak on bare skin would chafe pretty bad...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.