Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Voodoo Limba with a steel fork. I'm thinking about switching to carbon for lighter weight and possibly a smoother ride. I'm looking at the Easton EC90 and the Alpha Q. Has anyone tried both? Which do you guys prefer?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have used the 4ZA Python on a number of bikes and really like it. It's light, tracks well, and isn't expensive.

My new Hot Tubes is going to have a Alpha Q CX20 on it though. I wanted to try something new, just out of curiosity, and Toby steered me towards the Alpha Q.

My wife has ran the Python and a Ritchey WCS, with no issues. The Ritchey has great mud clearance.

·
Registered
249 Posts
limba said:
I have a Voodoo Limba with a steel fork. I'm thinking about switching to carbon for lighter weight and possibly a smoother ride. I'm looking at the Easton EC90 and the Alpha Q. Has anyone tried both? Which do you guys prefer?
Easton SLX :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Easton 90x is a great fork with the new itt. The Alpha-Q is nice aside from the compression plug that must be glued in place once the steerer tube has been cut. Edge is the nicest but kinda pricey. Easton would get my vote :thumbsup:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have the Edge fork on their bike? I can't find any reviews online. If someone has a link post it for me here.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
I got an EC90, really comfortable and solid tracking. I can't say anything about stiffness considering people here can feel the flex of brownian motion, I on the other hand, cannot.

·
Registered
348 Posts
CleavesF said:
I got an EC90, really comfortable and solid tracking. I can't say anything about stiffness considering people here can feel the flex of brownian motion, I on the other hand, cannot.

Zen's Fork Test Lab results (highly scientific and irrefutable)
Method: the "squeeze test"- pinching the fork legs together without a wheel. Hey, it makes just as much sense as the test ride mumbo-jumbo in the magazines...

My CX forks, from most stiff to most flexible, by squeeze hand pressure

1) Waterford steel, true temper blades, 1 1/8
2) Nashbar carbon (Winwood muddy?) 1"
3) Alpha Q, carbon steer tube 1"
4) Ritchey comp alum steer, 1 1/8"
5) Ritchey WCS carbon steer 1 1/8"

Can I tell the difference while riding? I replaced the steel waterford with the Ritchey WCS, between those extremes I notice some difference in flex on a cross course on the same bike/wheels. Not so much difference between the others. Does it matter? I don't think so, at least for me. I think most of the difference in handling is due to variations in geometry. I'd choose based on dimensions/geometry first, then consider weight, strength and of course cost. I actually think the Nashbar fork is a pretty good option, cheap, tough, reasonable weight for the price. Just cut off the ugly disk tabs (they're aluminum so no problem) and you got a good fork. Pay attention to the offset and crown height, makes more difference than anything else IMO.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hmm. My Ritchey WCS (carbon steerer) flexes a lot. If you want the ultimate in stiffness tho, grab a Wound-Up.

To answer your question, Alpha Qs are great.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, the Ritchey WCS flexes the most of all my forks, Alpha Q is stiffer. But then, I kind of like a little flex (at 150 lbs) and I found a deal on the Ritchey for less than $200 new. At any price, I'd probably choose the Alpha Q, but 400 bucks? Geez...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I have run a 4ZA

Zornyc 1" with Alu steerer and it has been nice. my other 2 cxers have steel forks
I used to have a Bianchi (assume Winwood) CF fork was good as well, I've never owned a fancy aftermarket

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you guys notice a smoother ride once going to a carbon fork? There's nothing wrong with my steel fork, I was just thinking maybe I'd upgrade a few parts on my bike.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
ZenNMotion said:
1) Waterford steel, true temper blades, 1 1/8
2) Nashbar carbon (Winwood muddy?) 1"
3) Alpha Q, carbon steer tube 1"
4) Ritchey comp alum steer, 1 1/8"
5) Ritchey WCS carbon steer 1 1/8"
Which Alpha-Q is this? Given that it's 1", I'm guessing it's older. The new-ish one looks WAY stouter than the old one, but I've never ridden either. Plus the new one looks just plain hot.

As others have said, Wound-Ups ride like two 2x4s with a wheel in between (in a good way, somehow). Otherwise I'd look hard at custom steel, and probably welded unicrown (as opposed to brazed or lugged).

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've ridden alpha's for years w/ zero issues. I'm now riding cx-20. I'm not a fan of wound-up, but haven't ridden them in about two years. I rode an easton in race conditions and found it a bit more flexy than the cx-20, but not a show stopper. I liked it fine. I rode my same bike equipped with an Edge but really didn't get to thrash it too much so can't really comment.

I'm curious Pretender and Suspectdevice. What makes you such huge Edge fans.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
crankles said:
I'm curious Pretender and Suspectdevice. What makes you such huge Edge fans.
Wish I could say from personal experience. My response was sort of a kneejerk "money no issue" response. Edge carbon is widely acknowledged to be of highest quality, albeit for a price.

I believe that Suspectdevice has lots of experience, both personal and through his clients, with Edge stuff, maybe he'll pipe in.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
limba said:
Do you guys notice a smoother ride once going to a carbon fork? There's nothing wrong with my steel fork, I was just thinking maybe I'd upgrade a few parts on my bike.
IME there's a little less 'zing' thru the bars with a carbon fork. In other words: JRA with a steel fork, there's more of the road surface vibrations that get thru to yer hand. Carbon and steel are both gonna feel about the same on the big hits.

Carbon's lighter, but so's yer wallet!

M

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.