Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Music Monopolizing NCD today!

So what's the best CD (or other) boxed set you ever saw?

I have two faves:

Beg, Scream and Shout: The Big Ol' Box of 60s Soul (great songs, tons of them--you'll be surprised how many of the songs you know already, and a really cool package-the cd holders look like 45's, and the whole set is in an old-fashioned 45 record box. Best. Set. Ever.)

No Thanks! The 70s Punk Rebellion (sort of a history of early punk rock--like 100 great songs from early punk heroes. And if you're put off by hardcore, don't worry--this is heavier on British and early NYC stuff so it's more melodic mostly.)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,706 Posts
Shostakovich: The Complete Symphonies...took me 3 weeks of hunting to find them all in one set, in stock &etc :D

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
This is a tough call for me.

My favorite is probably Bob Marley, Songs of Freedom, since I have the original (not the smaller sized re-issue).

I also love Miles Davis and Gil Evans, the Complete Columbia Studio Recordings.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
nate said:
This is a tough call for me.

My favorite is probably Bob Marley, Songs of Freedom, since I have the original (not the smaller sized re-issue).

I also love Miles Davis and Gil Evans, the Complete Columbia Studio Recordings.
The Miles set must be awesome. I'd almost forgotten about the discs of his I have--particularly "Sketches of Spain"--until the Girlygirl and I went to see the Baltimore Symphony do a thing that related music to art. In this case it was Picasso, and they played the Concerto de Aranjuez (or whatever it's called), that was the inspiration for a similarly named piece on "Sketches." I immediately hunted down my disc of that and iPodded it. Loving it.

Also, the Songs of Freedom set--is the original one sort of a tall, book-like thing? I have that one, but had no idea there was a different one. Do I have the original or a re-issue?

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
The Miles set must be awesome. I'd almost forgotten about the discs of his I have--particularly "Sketches of Spain"--until the Girlygirl and I went to see the Baltimore Symphony do a thing that related music to art. In this case it was Picasso, and they played the Concerto de Aranjuez (or whatever it's called), that was the inspiration for a similarly named piece on "Sketches." I immediately hunted down my disc of that and iPodded it. Loving it.

Also, the Songs of Freedom set--is the original one sort of a tall, book-like thing? I have that one, but had no idea there was a different one. Do I have the original or a re-issue?
Actually, looking now I think two versions came out at the same time in 1992. One is the one that sounds like yours (also mine), and another was the same but with an extra hardcover book by Rita Marley.

The re-issue came out around 1999 and the case was more like standard CD case height instead of book proportions.

If you search eBay, you can see all three versions. Before the re-issue came out, people were paying hundreds on eBay for the 1992 version.

Sketches of Spain is probably my favorite CD in the Miles box set.

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Shostakovich: The Complete Symphonies...took me 3 weeks of hunting to find them all in one set, in stock &etc :D
I will call yer Shostakovich Complete Symphonies and raise you with my:

Bartok The Complete String Quartets - Tokyo String Quartet LP

And I'll even throw in my husband's:
Shostakovich Complete Quartets vol. 1 (nos. 1-5) - Borodin Quartet LP
Tchaikovsky The Complete Symphonies - Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra CD :D

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Cocteau Twins 4AD EP Collection

all their 12 inch singles in one box. worth it for the artwork alone

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
bigbill said:
I have a couple of box sets, but the Steely Dan set is my favorite by far.
ooooooo I didn't know there was a Steely Dan box set, I'll have to keep my eye out for that one.

I only have two and I love them both, Police box set and a Hoagy Carmichael box set.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Patsy & Hank

bikeboy389 said:

These two I own:
Hank Williams (the original, not the Monday Night Football one) Original Singles Collection:
http://www.umgnashville.com/product.aspx?ob=disc&src=art&pid=1114

(I also came across a 10-CD collection "The Complete Hank Williams" that sounds awesome. But I need to pay for kid's college first.)

The Patsy Cline Collection:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002OIE/002-1681988-6756019?v=glance&n=5174

Listening to these songs, I am always reminded of Charlie Parker's response when asked, dismissively, why he listened to country music: "The stories, man. Listen to the stories!"

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,706 Posts
il sogno said:
I will call yer Shostakovich Complete Symphonies and raise you with my:

Bartok The Complete String Quartets - Tokyo String Quartet LP

And I'll even throw in my husband's:
Shostakovich Complete Quartets vol. 1 (nos. 1-5) - Borodin Quartet LP
Tchaikovsky The Complete Symphonies - Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra CD :D
Hmmm

I'll see your Tchaik & raise you the same via Berliner Phil/Karajan
also the 9 completed Bruckner(s) w/Staatskapelle Dresden & Jochum

&

The Emerson complete Shostakovich Quartets what were there 13 or 15...(yea-they don't have a very big color range...but oh well)

"Feelin' lucky...?"

How about DEM Apples:D :p

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
bikeboy389 said:

Don't know if it's the "best" but I dig it:

Led Zepplin 4 CD set.....love loading all 4 and putting it on shuffle........

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,257 Posts

I'll see your Shostakovich and Bruckner cyles (I actually have some of the single discs from those series) and raise you thusly:

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, "Der Konzertsanger" on Angel
Deutsche Kammermusik vor Bach, by Musica Antiqua Koln on DG Archiv.
Beethoven Symphonies with Furtwangler and various orchestras on Seraphim.
Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas by Kempf on DG.
Chopin Etudes, Preludes and Polonaises by Pollini.
Swinging, Sexy, Sinatra - a three disc set of the Capitol years on French Capitol.
The Complete Stax Singles.
The Essential Johnny Cash.
The Gram Parsons Anthology.

Put 'em on the table (that is, turntable), Bud... ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Hmmm

I'll see your Tchaik & raise you the same via Berliner Phil/Karajan
also the 9 completed Bruckner(s) w/Staatskapelle Dresden & Jochum

&

The Emerson complete Shostakovich Quartets what were there 13 or 15...(yea-they don't have a very big color range...but oh well)

"Feelin' lucky...?"

How about DEM Apples:D :p
Since I have put his Tchaik and Shost Quartets onto the table, please see Mapei's post below. :D

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
bikeboy389 said:

I have two faves:

Beg, Scream and Shout: The Big Ol' Box of 60s Soul (great songs, tons of them--you'll be surprised how many of the songs you know already, and a really cool package-the cd holders look like 45's, and the whole set is in an old-fashioned 45 record box. Best. Set. Ever.)

No Thanks! The 70s Punk Rebellion (sort of a history of early punk rock--like 100 great songs from early punk heroes. And if you're put off by hardcore, don't worry--this is heavier on British and early NYC stuff so it's more melodic mostly.)
I only own two but they are killers.

Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From the First Psychedelic Era. 1965-68

Nuggets II: Original Artyfacts From the British Empire and Beyond. 1964-69.

All 45rpm one hit wonders from my favorite musical era of all time. 13th Floor Elevators, Electric Prunes, Easybeats, Blues Magoos, Downliner's Sect, Wemple Winch, Tinturn Abbey, Monks, Pretty Things, oh and the f'ing Sonics...... can't help it I dig that crazy monkey beat dad.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
atpjunkie said:
all their 12 inch singles in one box. worth it for the artwork alone
4AD.

Boy that takes me back. Back in the early eighties you basically bought anything off that label. Birthday Party, Colin Newman (Wire fame), Cocteau Twins and of course (lovem or hatem) Bauhaus.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Good call, but I prefer the complete string quartets, performed by the Fitzwilliam quartet. Found it in the bargain bin at MediaPlay for $30.00.

My other choice is "Beauty Is A Rare Thing: The Complete Atlantic Recordings" by Ornette Coleman.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Really, the Fitzwilliam is better than the Emerson at interpreting Shostakovitch

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
svend said:
Don't know if it's the "best" but I dig it:

Led Zepplin 4 CD set.....love loading all 4 and putting it on shuffle........
+1 here

I haven't listened to it in at least a year, but I wore it out pretty bad in my school years.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts