Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
good results with SRAM

samh said:
Which is best shifting? Shimano, campy, sram?
I've use both Campy and SRAM chains on my Veloce 9s setup. Both shift about the same. I think the SRAM is slightly quieter though and a bit cheaper. I use the PC69. It is cheap enough so that I can replace often

·
Registered
376 Posts
Shimano Ultegra

Seriously. A great value, and very quiet. I run one on my Veloce 9 speed bike with an SRAM gold powerlink. Works like a charm.

Way cheaper than the Campy chains.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Cost per mile

cthomas said:
Seriously. A great value, and very quiet. I run one on my Veloce 9 speed bike with an SRAM gold powerlink. Works like a charm. Way cheaper than the Campy chains.
IME, SRAM chains last only 60% as long as Campy. I've never run Shimano chains, but the Shimano riders I know don't get nearly the mileage out of their chains that I get from Campy. On a cost per mile basis, I wonder if your claim is true.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
possibly

Kerry Irons said:
IME, SRAM chains last only 60% as long as Campy. I've never run Shimano chains, but the Shimano riders I know don't get nearly the mileage out of their chains that I get from Campy. On a cost per mile basis, I wonder if your claim is true.
That is possible if you factor in chain life. The price difference between Campy and SRAM 9-speed chains is not as much as it once was (Campy seems to be making up the difference by overcharging us on 10s parts). I never really try to maximize a chain. I'll change it at 3000 miles whether its worn out or not. I just got into the habit of using SRAM based on cost and comparable performance. On 10 speed I stick with the Campy chain. The new narrow chain is excellent

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
Seems that the campy 9s chain last 40-50% more miles depending on how you care for them, compared to Sram and DA 9.
I do replace my chain 1/2 way through my cyclocross season, like 10-12 races, that is little mileage, but they are not optimal. They are then re-comissioned for training along with the cassette.
FYI campy users, check out the cost of Miche 9 and 10 campy spine cassettes at AEbike.com
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FW1572

If you change your chain and cassette at the same time at aprox 5000 miles/ 4-6 months, this seems like a cost effective option.
or 3000m as posted above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.