Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning !

I have a 2013 CAAD10 that came with Ultegra shifters & derailleurs. It also came with an FSA SL-K Light crank. I am swapping the crank to a SRAM Force compact 50/36 along with a SRAM 11-28 cassette. The bike came with an Ultegra 6700 chain.

I had heard that the Dura Ace chains generally offer the best performance for mixed drivetrain applications. Is this true ? Any other thoughts or suggestions ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I run dura ace chains on my road bikes and have always loved them. I wasn't a fan of the SRAM chains I've had. I just switched to a KMC chain on my cross bike and really like it. It's light and smooth and super easy to take off and put back on (unlike Shimano chains).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the current chain is still pretty new... < 500 miles... guess I'll run it til the beginning of Summer and then look around. I am not familiar with KMC ? Their stuff is pretty well regarded ?

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
All my bikes have KMC chain.

iirc, KMC also makes SRAM chains

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I do not believe SRAM and KMC chains are the same. SRAM 10 speed links will bind on a 10 speed Shimano chain where as a KMC link will work just fine. (as will a Wipperman) (SRAM says 10 speed links are a one use deal. KMC or Wipperman links can be removed and reinstalled as much as you like)

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
Well the current chain is still pretty new... < 500 miles... guess I'll run it til the beginning of Summer and then look around. I am not familiar with KMC ? Their stuff is pretty well regarded ?
Here's a better idea: replace the chain when it is worn out. Measure it with a ruler and when it reaches 12 & 1/16" over 24 links then it's time to replace. Replacing before that is a total waste of money.

You can read the rest of the comments in this thread to draw a conclusion about KMC.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
KMC X10sl. Love the light weight, slippery coating, colors, and longevity.
I'm pretty sure KMC makes Shimano chains but not Sram.
IIRC, KMC does make Shimanos chains to Shimanos specs. Shimanos are not rebranded KMC chains.

I've run a number of chains on my Force drive train. I use the KMC 10SL now. It shifts the best, but is not the quietest. The 10 spd XTR DynaSys lasted the longest. The SRAM 1090 was the quietest, but shifted the worst. The Ultegra chain just worked with no special qualities that stood out.

Out of all those, the only one I would not buy again would be the SRAM. Now, it's more about the price I can find the chains at.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The asymmetrical Shimano chains are the best for front shifting in my experience. Especially on the older FSA rings that weren't exactly the best. They' work really well with pretty much everybody's chain rings as well.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
My sram shifting is fine with an ultegra chain. $35 delivered on ebay isn't bad. One wheelset has a sram red cassette, one ultegra, and one 1070.

I hear good things about KMC chains. Just checked, they are $37 delivered from ebay. I'll try it next time.

·
Converted Runner
691 Posts
I currently use Shimano Ultegra 6700 chains on all of my bikes, most of which have frankenstein drivetrains. For example, my road bike has Sram shifters and derailleurs, but Praxis chain rings (on a Cannondale crank), and an Ultegra 6700 cassette. My TT bike has 7900 bar-ends, 105 5600 derailleurs, an Ultegra 6600 crank, and a Sram PG1070 cassette. My CX bike has a 1x10 Sram Apex setup with a Blackspire chain ring and a 105 5700 11-28 cassette. They all shift great, even the Shimano chain and Sram cassette.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Good Morning !

I have a 2013 CAAD10 that came with Ultegra shifters & derailleurs. It also came with an FSA SL-K Light crank. I am swapping the crank to a SRAM Force compact 50/36 along with a SRAM 11-28 cassette. The bike came with an Ultegra 6700 chain.

I had heard that the Dura Ace chains generally offer the best performance for mixed drivetrain applications. Is this true ? Any other thoughts or suggestions ?
CN-7900 or KMC X10SL should do the trick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.