Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just burned through an HG700 (Ultegra/XT) chain in 643 miles. I use the Park CC-3.2 chain wear indicator and the .5 end just fell in right in. Not to .75 yet, but 643 miles? Wow. I know there's some debate about how accurate the chain wear indicators are so I used a ruler too and measuring from the dead center of a pin, the end of the ruler got to the edge of the pin 12" down the line (see image below).

This is on my cross bike that sees a lot of gravel riding, trail riding, sandy conditions, wet conditions, etc this time of year so I obviously don't expect it to last as long as a road chain. I'm using Rock N Roll Extreme lube.

Technology Grey Playstation accessory Circle Home game console accessory

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
How frequently are you cleaning and lubing?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
Deleted.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,410 Posts
I just burned through an HG700 (Ultegra/XT) chain in 643 miles. I use the Park CC-3.2 chain wear indicator and the .5 end just fell in right in. Not to .75 yet, but 643 miles? Wow. I know there's some debate about how accurate the chain wear indicators are so I used a ruler too and measuring from the dead center of a pin, the end of the ruler got to the edge of the pin 12" down the line (see image below).

This is on my cross bike that sees a lot of gravel riding, trail riding, sandy conditions, wet conditions, etc this time of year so I obviously don't expect it to last as long as a road chain. I'm using Rock N Roll Extreme lube.

View attachment 312971

If it's not to .75 yet, it still has plenty of life left. A new chain will measure 0.5.

If you ride in wet conditions a lot, just make sure you keep it lubed with a good wet lube to prevent rust. I believe Rock n Roll Extreme to be a good choice.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's not to .75 yet, it still has plenty of life left. A new chain will measure 0.5.

If you ride in wet conditions a lot, just make sure you keep it lubed with a good wet lube to prevent rust. I believe Rock n Roll Extreme to be a good choice.
That's why I used the ruler. I measured my other two bikes and the ruler went to the dead center of the pin for the other two chains. This one measured center to center when it was new too. And the chain wear indicator did not fit the .5 end on the other two bikes chains.

·
Registered
698 Posts
That's why I used the ruler. I measured my other two bikes and the ruler went to the dead center of the pin for the other two chains. This one measured center to center when it was new too. And the chain wear indicator did not fit the .5 end on the other two bikes chains.
1/2 percent of 12 inches is .06 inches. (and 1/16 inch is .0625)
3/4 percent is .09 inches. (3/32 is .094)

I measured the full rivet width with a digital caliper on my 11-speed Ultegra chain as about .18 inch, so half of that is .09 inches. Looks like you are due for a new chain.

It's easier for me to measure from one edge of the rivet, for 12 and 1/16 inch, which should be at or over the same rivet edge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mud.

I don't have experience with such extreme chain wear, but I'll still comment.

I assume muddy water is getting inside the chain rollers. It's abrasive. Perhaps some heavier lube could help keep it out of the chain? Something like Chain-L. I've been using it on road bikes, and it lasts a long time, and the chain is quiet.

Removing and washing the chain might help after a muddy ride, but it kind of too late already, the mud's been grinding away during the whole ride.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The last time I let a chain get to .75, the cassette was toast too. The chain might have some life left, but I'd prefer to replace an $18 chain (bought a bunch on sale) if it saves a $70 cassette (the 11-32's I run cost more than the other models).

Just wondering if SRAM or KMC fare better for gritty environments for when my stock of sale purchased Ultegra's runs out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts