Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,140 Posts
A buddy of mine just bought the ultegra Scattante CFR (same at EPX etc, etc.) on sale before Christmas and he paid 1300 dollars. This was a great bargain considering a bike build kit with ultegra is close to that price. To make a long story short, I tried it out yesterday (we are the same size) and it rode great. I didn't get on any hills with it but the BB seemed nice and stiff and it rode smooth. I think it behaved very similar to my OCLV. It is 1/2 pound heavier if that is important to you.

For me, I am starting to diet and exercise seriously and plan on losing a whole bike off of my body so the 1/2 lb. sure isn't a big factor to me.

Dave Hickey said:
EXP, BP Stealth, PedalForce and SuperGo are all variations of the same frame. For the money, they are a good deal....

·
Administrator
13,070 Posts
Used

Cheap CF frame still scare me. Maybe in a year or two they won't- but for now. . .

I would suggest a used OCLV Trek, a used Giant or a nice used Look frame before going cheapo CF. Check the classifieds here and Ebay, of course.

Actually, if you are looking cheapo- a hybrid Al/Cf stayed bike may be a better bet anyway.

Coolhand

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Coolhand said:
Cheap CF frame still scare me. Maybe in a year or two they won't- but for now. . .

I would suggest a used OCLV Trek, a used Giant or a nice used Look frame before going cheapo CF. Check the classifieds here and Ebay, of course.

Actually, if you are looking cheapo- a hybrid Al/Cf stayed bike may be a better bet anyway.

Coolhand
I wouldn't worry about these frames. They are made by either Martec or Advance Composites. Both companies have years of experience in working with carbon. Used Trek, Kestrel and LOOK is a very good option if you don't want to used.

You raised a good point about carbon. I've often wondered about all these frame builders trying to catch the carbon wave. Are we going to see frame failures because of in-experience in working with carbon? Just because some guy can braze tubes doesn't mean he can build a carbon frame.

Personally I'd take one of the mass produced Asian frames from an experienced company like Martec or Advanced vs a builder that builds aluminum or steel frames who is now trying out carbon fiber..

·
Registered
113 Posts
bought a new EPX frame on EBay

it came with a carbon fork for only $345 + $30 shipping. built the bike with full Ultegra for a total cost of $1150. can't find a better value than that for a new, complete carbon bike(maybe Ebay). it rides fine, can't compare it to anything else since this is my first high end bike. my previous ride was a 26 pound steel Trek. i'll will post a pic in the gallery in the next couple of weeks.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
What size are you looking for?

I've got a Look KG 361 size 57cm used only 1 yr that I will be selling on E-bay shortly. It's a great frame and I'd take WAY less than a new one :)

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Oh well! Good luck. I think, like Dave, that if you go the used route, Look, Trek, and others that have been in the CF business a while are safe choices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.