Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am just getting my wife into road cycling, and am looking for a clipless pedal system recommendation for her. She has ridden with toe clips in the past, and did fine with them. They were loose fit, but she liked the fact that her foot didn't slide around very much.

As additional info the bike we got for her is a WSD '07 Specialized Dolce Elite (Alum frame, CF fork, CF seat stays, mix of Tiagra/105 components). She intends to get to the point that she can participate in some 20-25 mile, 15-16mph pace weekly club rides along with some longer rides with me on the weekends, probably up to 40 - 50 miles for the longer rides. This will probably have to wait until next season for her to get into a little better shape. Our seasons are a bit short up here in the North Country. (We do live in Minnesota, don't you know.)

Personally I am leaning towards getting her some MTB shoes and an SPD pedal system since they are easier to walk in. However, I have never used them myself so have no personal experience with clipping in and out of them. I use Look Delta myself.

Another thought I had was to go with road shoes and Speedplay Light Action pedals. Again, I have no personal experience with these, but I like the idea that they are double sided and hear they are easy to clip in and out of.

Which shoes and pedal system would you suggest that I go with for the first time clipless pedal system user?

Thanks for the input.

Jay B.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have only used SPD pedals and cleats... just easier for me to use since I ride both a MTB and road bike. I'm looking to upgrade to a better pedal and dedicated road shoe in the future for myself. If I were starting out thats what I would use. You can find fairly inexpensive shoes and start off there to see if she likes being clipped in. The MTB shoes with SPD cleats are easier to walk in.

·
Registered
960 Posts
My wife also has the Dolce Elite and got the Specialized Body Geometry shoes (yes, mtb shoes), with Shimano SPD 520 pedals... She had also been a mid 15 mph rider, and had ridden toe clips in the past.

Her issue had been hot spots, mixed with her toes going numb on previous rides, but she doesn't have those issues anymore... Even after a 30 mile ride.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sprocket - Matt said:
My wife also has the Dolce Elite and got the Specialized Body Geometry shoes (yes, mtb shoes), with Shimano SPD 520 pedals... She had also been a mid 15 mph rider, and had ridden toe clips in the past.

Her issue had been hot spots, mixed with her toes going numb on previous rides, but she doesn't have those issues anymore... Even after a 30 mile ride.
That is almost the exact route I am considering going for my wife; Specialized BG MTB shoes and SPD's. I have a pair of Specialized BG Pro Carbon's and love them. However, it took buying the high arch footbeds to get rid of my hotspots, as the stock footbeds that came with the shoes just didn't do it for me.

Thanks for the input.

Jay

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
+1 for mtb shoe/pedal for most casual riders. Walkability is a big plus, and you're not giving up much if anything in performance. (After all, mtb racers do fine with them).

Consider a platform spd style - the "cleat only" pedal designs were never stable enough for me so I went with the nashbar platform, which is also good for casual sneaker riding.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I use Speedplay Frogs on my road bike. They are excellent, over 5000 miles without any problems. They are very easy to get in and out of because you can clip into either side. Getting out is simple, just turn your heel out. Very easy on the knees because your foot can rotate a bit but I have never come out of them unintentionally. You also get the added benefit of being able to walk in your shoes, I use Sidi, without chewing up the cleat and having to replace them as a result. I think this pedal system is great for a novice or a seasoned rider.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
check out Crank Bros. Candy model, have it on 3 bikes and like it a lot, the cleat fits SPD pattern shoes...switched to them as various SPD's I used eventually developed annoying squeaks also clipping in and out is very easy

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
creaky knows of what he speaks. my wife, while not on a road bike, has used "campus" or "rodeo" pedals since i talked her into trying clipless 5 years ago. they have a flat pedal platform on one side and an SPD interface on the other. after stopping, if we need to get a quick start, she just pedals on the platforms until the coast is clear. then she clicks in.

she uses the pear izumi shoes in cooler weather and the shimano sandals in warmer weather.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'd say either the Crank Brothers Candy or Quattro or the Speedplay Light Actions. I've got both the Candies and Light Actions and they are both easy to get in and out of. I'd say pedals like the Look Keo would be too difficult for you.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I don't have anything to compare to, but as a new rider I have had no trouble at all with SPD's. I use PD-M424 pedals.

For weekend evening rides I use SH-WM60 shoes. These are the first ones I purchased, and I like them very much.

As I began biking on errands, to the local coffee shop, the movie theater, I wished for a pair of clip in shoes that were versitle enough to not look too geeky in public places. I first went for the Keen sandal. But I found it hard to clip out unless they were laced tightly, which wasn't comfortable, so I took those back and got a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seeks. First day with them today, so far, I love love love them. I'm at work, and I'm wearing them now actually!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I talked my wife into doing the SPD, MTB show thing for her road bike last year. She quickly caught on that it was not "cool" to ride road with MTB shoes. She started to refer to them as her "special ed" shoes.
She now has new Specialized Road shoes and Look classic pedals.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I just got my first pair of real biking pedals/shoes. I went with road shoes, and wish I did do what has been advised several times already - MTB with platform pedals. I see a very large percentage of riders using those when I ride. Hindsight is 20/20!

·
Registered
281 Posts
As for MTB shoes, I have found that most mt. bike shoes are not as rigid as road shoes. I don't like SPD either, because it's a very small platform and also it doesn't have enough float. Now, if you split 50/50 between road & mt. bikes and want one pair of shoes, go right ahead. Wearing MTB shoes on a road bike is sort of like wearing MTB clothing and helmet, and having a straight bar with MTB shifters. It's almost as bad as having a kickstand and fenders.

MTB pedals are a lot heavier than road bike pedals, and need more upkeep. The only people who are exempt from this rule are recumbent & messenger/courier cyclists.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Treker said:
Hi All,

I am just getting my wife into road cycling, and am looking for a clipless pedal system recommendation for her. She has ridden with toe clips in the past, and did fine with them. They were loose fit, but she liked the fact that her foot didn't slide around very much.

As additional info the bike we got for her is a WSD '07 Specialized Dolce Elite (Alum frame, CF fork, CF seat stays, mix of Tiagra/105 components). She intends to get to the point that she can participate in some 20-25 mile, 15-16mph pace weekly club rides along with some longer rides with me on the weekends, probably up to 40 - 50 miles for the longer rides. This will probably have to wait until next season for her to get into a little better shape. Our seasons are a bit short up here in the North Country. (We do live in Minnesota, don't you know.)

Personally I am leaning towards getting her some MTB shoes and an SPD pedal system since they are easier to walk in. However, I have never used them myself so have no personal experience with clipping in and out of them. I use Look Delta myself.

Another thought I had was to go with road shoes and Speedplay Light Action pedals. Again, I have no personal experience with these, but I like the idea that they are double sided and hear they are easy to clip in and out of.

Which shoes and pedal system would you suggest that I go with for the first time clipless pedal system user?

Thanks for the input.

Jay B.
I use speedplay zero's, find them easy to use, but have been leaning towards getting a set of speedplay frogs. I like the look of that low profile cleat

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.