Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want some wheels that hide from the crosswinds. The Campy Eurus looks good, but are they not compatible with Shimano? If they aern't compatible, could I just replace the rear hub? Are there any wheel configurations one can build to achieve some great crosswind avoiders, or is one limited to wheelsets? Want some speed demond training/racing wheels for a fairly reasonable price. Looking at spoke counts between 18-28.

Thanks John

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Eurus, or better yet Neutron...

JohnnyCat said:
Want some wheels that hide from the crosswinds. The Campy Eurus looks good, but are they not compatible with Shimano? If they aern't compatible, could I just replace the rear hub? Are there any wheel configurations one can build to achieve some great crosswind avoiders, or is one limited to wheelsets? Want some speed demond training/racing wheels for a fairly reasonable price. Looking at spoke counts between 18-28.

Thanks John
If you are lighter, consider neutrons as they offer very little side profile. Campy spokes are nice in that they are bladed, but not like Mavic's propellers put on the Ks.

All campagnolo wheels can be purchased with a Shimano compatible freehub. You will still use a campagnolo hub.

The whole idea is to get shimano users into the campagnolo experience (via wheels) and before you know it you will be running all campagnolo, subscribe to campyonly.com and bash shimano users.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Best crosswind wheels for speed

Is a disk rear and and a deep rim front. The air resistance is low with a head wind but as the wind moves around to the side the air resistance goes negative, the wheels start acting like a sail on a sailboat and the cross wind generates forward thrust.

Stability is a big negative with dish and super deep rims so in tight quarters less deep rims are needed (you got folks breaking the wind for you anyway)

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Spunout said:
If The whole idea is to get shimano users into the campagnolo experience (via wheels) and before you know it you will be running all campagnolo, subscribe to campyonly.com and bash shimano users.
You say that like it's a bad thing!

;)

In any event you will be looking for a nice low profile box type rim and non-bladed spokes.

Most of the wheels makers have a couple models like this, usually for climbing. You can have nice set handbuilt out of Record or Dura Hubs, DT Revolution spoke and a rim like DT RR 1's. I believe you could get all of those in 28 hole drillings. Someone chime in if I am incorrect.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Spunout said:
If you are lighter, consider neutrons as they offer very little side profile. Campy spokes are nice in that they are bladed, but not like Mavic's propellers put on the Ks.

All campagnolo wheels can be purchased with a Shimano compatible freehub. You will still use a campagnolo hub.

The whole idea is to get shimano users into the campagnolo experience (via wheels) and before you know it you will be running all campagnolo, subscribe to campyonly.com and bash shimano users.
I weigh over 200 lbs and no problems at all with the neutrons. Great wheel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So is there such thing as good crosswind cheaters?

My weight is 155, sorry I left that out.

Little confused about aerodynamics, so I tell you more what I'm thinking and possibly this will help. Want to race some, so I'll be fighting wind mainly from the sides. I'll be drafting a lot of the time so head wind really isn't that big of a concern. The wind usually hits me from the side, and I feel like its getting caught in the spokes. What is this law that the more surface area a wheel has the more aero it is. If this was true than a 36 spoke wheel would be quite aero. I take it this means uninterupted area, like a flat surface. Is the idea that you either want the wind blowing straight through(like bontragers or Eurus), or hitting a solid surface like a disc or high profile rim? I don't want to sacrifice handling, so I think I want the concept of the wind blowing straight through. Is this logic correct?

Oh jeez I think I've done it, I metioned Campy and Shimano in the same post. Didn't want to make this a debate about the two co's., but I'll find it humerous if it does. Just noticed that campy wheels get good comments so I thought about considering them.

Thanks John

·
497 Posts
Shamals?

If you can find them used and in good shape, I think they would make a good fast training wheelset. I'm poor and thus race on a used tubular version. They aren't the lightest wheel out there, but they are very fast in real life conditions and they feel heavier in your hands than they feel on the bike. Despite a fairly deep rim, I've had very little sidewind trouble with them; less, in fact, than my standard open pros. That might be because they are like big ol flywheels and don't want to change direction when the gusts hit them. They aren't quite as fast as something like a trispoke or disk, but in my opinion, they are at least as fast and more stable than Zipp 404's, Lews, or Spinergy RexX's. I haven't had any spoke or trueness issues with them in 2 seasons either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.