Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best book you've ever read that was related to cycling?

It doesn't have to be a technical, an informative, or a "how to" related cycling book...just anything cycling related.

TripleB

·
Proud luddite
7,232 Posts
I haven't read that many but I really enjoyed "Slaying the Badger", the tale of the Lemond/Hinault feud in the mid-80's. It's been turned into a documentary which is pretty true to the book if you want to cheat and learn about the story on video instead of reading.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
"Bicycle: The History" by David Herlihy

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Easy question. The Rider ​by Tim Krabbé. A novel.

Reactions: PCM

·
Registered
78 Posts
+3 for The Rider.
Fantastic book that I read once a year.

Cycling on $10 a Day is fun read.
The Secret Race was also good.
A Dog in a Hat (I would suggest skipping Come and Gone)

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Zinn, Slaying the Badger, and the BSNY books are all pretty good.

I remember reading some random, "History of the Tour de France" book that was awesome. It talked about all the old timey guys taking crazy amphetamines, swilling brandy, riding on dirt roads, and getting attacked by bears.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
French Revolutions by Timothy (I think) Moore. British travel writer who decides to ride the TdF route on his own.

Recently read PC on $10 a day (post #2 above). Very entertaining and best I've read recently. Road to Valor is the story of Gino Bartali's life, focusing on how he helped hidden Jews avoid the Nazis in WW2 Italy.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
French Revolutions by Timothy (I think) Moore. British travel writer who decides to ride the TdF route on his own.

Recently read PC on $10 a day (post #2 above). Very entertaining and best I've read recently. Road to Valor is the story of Gino Bartali's life, focusing on how he helped hidden Jews avoid the Nazis in WW2 Italy.
I agree with "Road to valor", lso agree with "French Revolutions" by Tim Moore. Also by Moore is "Gironimo, riding the very terrible 1914 Tour of Italy". Same vein as "French Revolutiions" except following the route of the 1914 Giro on a period correct bike.

Also "The Hour" by Michael Hutchinson. His preparation and attempt at the Hour record.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts