Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on converting to a single ring set up. Right now I'm running an FSA Gossamer double that came stock on my bike. It's 36/46 (110 BCD). I'd like to go with a single 39T ring up front.

Here are the follow conversion options that I'm considering. I'm looking for the simplest and most economical option. Which one would you choose and why?

1. Buy a standard double crankset (39/53; 130 BCD), replace outer ring with a chainguard and run with a 3rd Eye Chain Watcher.
2. Buy a triple crankset and run a double guard set up.
3. Keep my current crankset, but find a 39T 110 BCD ring to run with an outer chainguard and chain watcher.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure you will get numerous opinions.

If you are looking for cheap I would think purchasing a 39T and a cheap bash guard like a BBG for $18 and a N-Gear Jump Stop for another $15 or so would be much cheaper than anything involving a new crankset. Also seems like the easiest as you don't have to worry about switching bottom brackets or anything requiring special tools depending on your mechanical ability. I went this direction last season and was an easy change. My wife's similar swap this year required different chaing ring bolts due to the ring and bashguard combo used.

Neither of us have had any issues with dropping the chain. You will probably want to shorten the chain up a bit once you get rid of the big ring. I think that has as much to do with not dropping the chain as the jump stop. We also set the jump stop as close as we possibly can to the chain in the single ring/25 out back so it is still close as we go on down the cassette.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yep, EZ has got it. Go with the BBG lite guard www.bbgbashguard.com/, an N-gear jumpstop, and a 39t chainring. You'll have to get the BBG direct. Your LBS can get you the ring and the jumpstop or cyclocrossworld has them both.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am running a single 39T with a Paul's chain watcher. My wife is running a 39T with a salsa crossing guard and a n-gear jump stop. Both setup have been working well. I was going to do the double guard but one of the shops in my area said they do not work well in really muddy condition like we get here in PNW as mud will build up between the guards.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I agree, the third option is the way to go, why buy new stuff when you can still use the old.

I would say you could even just use the outer ring as a guard. Turn it around to get rid of the ramps and such. If you have the means to machine off the teeth, that works great. I have used this type of set up for years, and it's great.

The inner guard is the most important of the two.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
if I were to go single ring

I think I'd spend the $ on the Paul unit. Simple, clean, effective not alot of set up and should also help remove some crud from the chain

·
Menace to Society
627 Posts
moralleper said:
I am running a single 39T with a Paul's chain watcher. My wife is running a 39T with a salsa crossing guard and a n-gear jump stop. Both setup have been working well. I was going to do the double guard but one of the shops in my area said they do not work well in really muddy condition like we get here in PNW as mud will build up between the guards.

+1 :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts