Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dumond tech lite but it still gets so dirty. I never ride in the rain. My lbs sold me some giant branded aerosol lube they say they use on all their chains. He said it keeps the chain way cleaner bc it dries. However, spraying it on the chain is too messy for me. Is there another brand that comes in a drip bottle that will accept one of those tubes that insert into aerosol nozzles?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,660 Posts
if you still have dirty chains you're doing it wrong. my bike (and thus the drivetrain) were new 2.23.13. i've got about 1,000mi on it since, using 2 different pair of wheels. the chain has never been cleaned. it gets lubed about once a week or so. there is no need for it to EVER be any dirtier than this, unless you've just ridden in the rain or the dirt. i used dumonde yellow for years, and now i'm using wd40 dry. excellent lube and if you forget your aftershave a drop or 2 behind your ear will have the women all over you. :yesnod:

View attachment 279595 View attachment 279596

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
the chain has never been cleaned. it gets lubed about once a week or so. there is no need for it to EVER be any dirtier than this, unless you've just ridden in the rain or the dirt
Hmm, I'm impressed. HB/Prolube/etc work well but they tend to attract dust, might be my area.
I'm tempted to give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
For a dry lube, Finish Line is pretty good --

Finish Line - Bicycle Lubricants and Care Products

Then there's the ultimate dry lube, White Lightning which is basically a wax. It works really well, but doesn't last very long (maybe 100 miles). It's nice when you're traveling and don't want to mess stuff up with a greasy chain.

White Lightning
I have both of those, tried them both, they don't look like pics from cxwrench.
Do you have some comparison photos?

·
15,660 Posts
For a dry lube, Finish Line is pretty good --

Finish Line - Bicycle Lubricants and Care Products

Then there's the ultimate dry lube, White Lightning which is basically a wax. It works really well, but doesn't last very long (maybe 100 miles). It's nice when you're traveling and don't want to mess stuff up with a greasy chain.

White Lightning
White Lightning is the absolute worst chain lube ever made. period. the ONLY thing it's good for is lubricating Speedplay pedal cleats. Take a look at my previous post and tell me how that chain would 'mess stuff up'...lubricating a chain properly is not difficult, and you end up w/ a pretty clean chain.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
White Lightning is the absolute worst chain lube ever made. period. the ONLY thing it's good for is lubricating Speedplay pedal cleats.
Yep, that is what I'm using it for at this point. :)
BTW I did order some WD40 Dry from Amazon, will be giving it a shot Fri/Sat/Sun
3 Day weekend riding. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Thanks for pointing out the difference,

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
if you still have dirty chains you're doing it wrong. my bike (and thus the drivetrain) were new 2.23.13. i've got about 1,000mi on it since, using 2 different pair of wheels. the chain has never been cleaned. it gets lubed about once a week or so. there is no need for it to EVER be any dirtier than this, unless you've just ridden in the rain or the dirt. i used dumonde yellow for years, and now i'm using wd40 dry. excellent lube and if you forget your aftershave a drop or 2 behind your ear will have the women all over you. :yesnod:

How is WD40 dry in wet conditions? I see it advertised as being for dry and arid conditions, and it can be very wet down here.

I'm experimenting with new lubes after reading the Velo line comparison.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts

Holy crap. I can't keep mine looking like that for 1000 yards nevermind miles.

Would love to hear your technique if you're willing to share?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I don't think there is a "best" but there are "worst". Worst are the Pedros Ice wax and White Lightning, those two products gum up drivelines and don't lube the chain thus you end up with faster wearing chains though they do stay cleaner to the touch; and you have reapply those lubes about every 65 to 75 miles or the chain starts making noise and noise is metal to metal contact which means the chain is getting abused, so you have to carry a bottle with you on rides over 65 miles!

I like Finish Line Teflon Dry. Even though the Teflon Dry does have some wax it's combined with other ingredients like oil and teflon to make it a real lubricant with wax to repel dirt.

However, when I was talking to Adrenaline Bikes when I ordered my bike the sales guy who hated those wax lubes I mentioned in the first paragraph suggested that I try Pro Gold Xtreme chain lube, so he's going to send a bottle of the stuff with the bike. He claims it stays clean, won't splatter like wet lube, yet can handle wet conditions that I occasionally have to ride in here in the midwest, and their studies of the lube showed that chains were lasted longer then using other lubes. I never used the stuff before, but will have to wait to report on it since the bike isn't here yet, but it has gotten high reviews every place I read about it.

The other lube I like for wet riding conditions is Chain-L. I use it only on my touring bike not on my other road bikes. But it does hold up very well to rain and it lasts a long time before cleaning and reapplying, but it is sort of tricky to use and if you don't do it right you'll be disappointed in the results. You have to clean the chain real well before using it for the first time, heat up the bottle to about 100 degrees, then apply the absolutely smallest amount to each roller, wipe it down with a rag, wait about 12 hours and rewipe; then after each ride you wipe the chain down again. Chain L claims 900 miles between cleaning the chain and reapplying the lube, I don't buy that, I clean my chain about every 400 miles and reapply instead and by the time that happens the chain is beginning to get black, I can't imagine after 900 miles what it would look like. But the chain does remain very quiet the whole time which is good. I haven't used it long enough yet to find out if my chain wear will be reduced.

·
15,660 Posts
Holy crap. I can't keep mine looking like that for 1000 yards nevermind miles.

Would love to hear your technique if you're willing to share?
it's very basic.
1) wipe off chain
2) apply 1 drop per roller
3) turn cranks for 10-20 seconds to help lube penetrate inside the rollers
4) wipe ALL excess lube off chain.
5) ride for a week, repeat.

How is WD40 dry in wet conditions? I see it advertised as being for dry and arid conditions, and it can be very wet down here.

I'm experimenting with new lubes after reading the Velo line comparison.
there is a WD40 dry lube AND a WD40 wet lube. i didn't get a chance to use it much this year, but they cx guys say it works well.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
it's very basic.
1) wipe off chain
2) apply 1 drop per roller
3) turn cranks for 10-20 seconds to help lube penetrate inside the rollers
4) wipe ALL excess lube off chain.
5) ride for a week, repeat.
Thanks. That's exaclty what I've been doing. While I haven't had what I'd call a 'problem' with the drive train getting dirty my chain/cassette looks nothing like yours does. The roads suck here and I tend to find gravel roads on just about every ride so maybe that's the difference.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.