Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am just getting into road biking, (been on the mountains for years) and I am looking for a bike on the cheaper side of things 700- and hopefully used. I am planning to start team time trials towards the end of the summer so this bike needs to good enough to last me one year thru those. Any ideas? :wink5:

·
Registered
232 Posts
If your comfortable with buying online with no test rides, BikesDirect.com is a good resource. Most of their bikes are Kinesis made so the quality is very good and you can get a great bang for your buck. Just don't expect any support from local bike shops when you need help.

However, if you want to test ride, dealer support, etc. then the Trek 1.2, Specialized Allez Double, and Giant OCR 1 are good models to look at

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I've seen a 3 or 4 Giant TCRs that are about 4 years old with Ultegra 9 groups going for around $600. A buddy of mine picked up an '04 for $650 with Spinergy carbon wheels and Ultegra 9 group. They are pre-carbon TCRs but they are good bikes nonetheless. Also, consider Felt as well. I've seen a couple of '05 Felt F75s and two '06 F80s going for around $550-600. Those are 105 equipped but really good bikes. The F75 even has carbon seatstays. Craigslist is the place ito go if you're buying used.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dawes, Motobecane, Windsor, and Mercier were all old Euro brands that went out of business. The names were purchased and are now used for Taiwanese made bikes mostly sold through BikesDirect. I've seen a few in person and they look like typical Taiwan made bikes (which include the Trek, Specialized, and Giant models mentioned in my previous post). The Dawes is decent, but I would recommend stepping up to this one
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mirage_pro09.htm

Only $130 more but much better frame and parts that will make a lighter bike that will also probably last you longer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i think i am going to go ahead and get a specialized allez... hopefully a double.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.