Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an sworks venge (26c tires) and would like to install fenders on it. The issue here is that the clearance is too small, not one pair of fenders at my lbs fit this thing.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,285 Posts
Yeah, clearance. LOL!

Search for "down tube fender", and for the rear one that attaches to the seat post. That's pretty much going to be it I would think. But looking at pictures, you might not even be able to squeeze a down tube fender in there. Some venges have shaped DTs (top end with a curved profile so the wheel tucks in), some have straight DTs. If you have the first, good luck.

At least they are easy on/easy off, so you can go back to aero with ease.

You might want to consider a cheap, used, bad weather bike.

·
Huge in Japan
455 Posts
I have bought fenders to fit on bikes knowing that as soon as I left the shop with them they were mine no matter what because I was going to be hacking them to make them work with the particular bike they were going on. If you can accept the fact that they will not be under warrantee and that in the end the hack job might not ultimately work then modify the fenders.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Get a beater bike/frame if you really intend on riding with fenders during less than ideal conditions. I live in the NE of the States and ride my beater from the end of Dec until the beginning of April. Save the Venge for better weather!

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Crud Road Racer MK3

23mm tires

Should work just fine, it'll be tight though.

This is the MK2 version.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess some sort of ultra thin custom built carbon fenders might fit, but oh well no money :/ I've also been looking for a winter bike, no luck so far though

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Because I live in Western Canada and I only have 1 bike a the moment
Gotcha,

I live in Florida, in the summer it rains almost every day. I have a Bianchi Intenso as my rain bike.

Before I'd drop fenders on a Venge I'd save my dough and go buy a backup foul weather bike. I personally don't like hanging non-oem stuff on my road bike.

Having two bikes is wonderful as when one is in the shop you're not in a panic to get it back in a hurry.

You're in a beautiful part of the world BTW.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I use the MK2 version constantly, especially this time of year. I find them faultless. I do not use the little "brake track scrubber" or rather the little "alignment brushes" or whatever they're actually called. I just put the fenders on and pay close attention to getting them straight and tight and they're never an issue. A real top notch product. I have a bike they live on all year round and they're faultless. Put some highway red reflective tape on the back of the rear one for an added safety bonus too.

There's lots of youtube videos showing the MK2 and the new MK3 being installed and used. You might have to cut or trim them somewhere to make them fit, which is fine, do what you need to for a good fit. Once they're dialed in they are silent and solid.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Expected to see a lot of snarky replies in this thread and pleasantly surprised to see good discussion and info... I know this post of mine doesn't really contribute to the conversation but just wanted to throw that out there.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Cruds are probably your only option.

Unfortunately, the Mk3 require you to apply some kind of super sticky hook and loop to your frame. Not something I'd be keen to do.

I live in the north western US (north of Seattle area). For me, having a dedicated rain bike is the only option. Just buy a cheap aluminum or carbon frame and build it up with some ebay parts or something. Put a decent, sturdy set of fenders on and leave them there. Your rain bike should also be able to run a larger and more durable tire (a nice 25mm or 28mm conti 4 season, etc...) for better flat prevention. Flats are far more common in the rain, and fixing flats in the rain sucks X1000, especially on a fendered bike.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
good advice from Migen and MMS

I live across the water in Victoria and fenders are a fact of life here. We are NOT allowed on any club ride without fenders PLUS fender extension flaps, in the rainy season. Though most people have a winter bike with solid heavy fenders, some use ultraight fenders like the Crud RR ones.

I just pop on the Crud Roadracer fenders on my bike. (though I also have a cross bike I use as a gravel bike with heavy fenders). Have put them on my SWorks Tarmac, and now my Lynskey R150. However the Lynskey is more versatile bike - runing 25C tough tires, a bit more room for 28c and.or CRR fenders, and the Ti frame gives me less worry about being constantly wet and dirty. Also can ride on the gravel MUT trails with less worry.

I run 25C Gator Hardshell tires not the mere Gatorskins. Have never had a flat with these.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts