Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an aluminum frame with a loose front derailleur hanger. The manufacturer is taking good care of me and getting me a new frame. But there is going to be a bit of a wait due to shipping it twice, I think it'll be about two weeks. So I want to fix this frame so I can ride for now. What are the best readily available adhesives for this application, preferably available in central Ohio? Anyone know of a welder locally? I will be stripping off the old adhesive and taking both parts down to bare metal. I'll also try and find some super tough rivets if possible. I want to knock this out ASAP.

Fire away I'm all ears:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
NEO Dan said:
Hi I have an aluminum frame with a loose front derailleur hanger. The manufacturer is taking good care of me and getting me a new frame. But there is going to be a bit of a wait due to shipping it twice, I think it'll be about two weeks. So I want to fix this frame so I can ride for now. What are the best readily available adhesives for this application, preferably available in central Ohio? Anyone know of a welder locally? I will be stripping off the old adhesive and taking both parts down to bare metal. I'll also try and find some super tough rivets if possible. I want to knock this out ASAP.

Fire away I'm all ears:thumbsup:

J B Weld.....strong enough for a FD hanger.. just make sure the surfaces are clean

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave,
I'm going to go pick some up right now.

I am a hardware geek but I don't have rivets, or a rivet gun - so I've rummaged through my hardware stash and I've come up with what I think is a winner. I have some #8-32 hurricane nuts, these things are badass! I will bend them to the curve of the seat tube and JB weld them in place on the inside, and viola a bolt on FD hanger. At least this is the plan:D

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
Just curious: how was the hanger connected in the first place? was it glued?
I thought it's be welded or brazed since we're talking alu to alu connection..

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adhesive and rivets, but the glue was not prepared correctly so it failed. I think that the frame was cleaned with something that acted as an activator because the the thin layer was nearly see through because it was totally micro bubbles. The glue sheared while totally adhering to both surfaces. Allowing the FD to cant in and down with the bottom pull of the cable, this ultimately causes a chain suck on the down shift that puts a fatal blow on the rivets - at least this is what I observed today.

I need to find some hardware that has thinner heads, the FD is firm against the bottom bolt but the alignment ended up perfect with no flex - I feel lucky - I get to ride till my new frame shows up:thumbsup:

If this is frame stays good I'm going to document it and send it off to the manufacturer - hopefully this will allow them to avoid crushing these frames if they see more like this one. I was told to destroy this frame and send pictures - when the new one arrives. If it holds up I'm going to ask them if would be OK to donate it to the USA cycling program - I don't have anything to do with the program, I just happened to run into a coach in an LBS the other day. This frame would be awesome for some aspiring kid. :)

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
NEO Dan said:
Adhesive and rivets, but the glue was not prepared correctly so it failed. I think that the frame was cleaned with something that acted as an activator because the the thin layer was nearly see through because it was totally micro bubbles. The glue sheared while totally adhering to both surfaces. Allowing the FD to cant in and down with the bottom pull of the cable, this ultimately causes a chain suck on the down shift that puts a fatal blow on the rivets - at least this is what I observed today.

I need to find some hardware that has thinner heads, the FD is firm against the bottom bolt but the alignment ended up perfect with no flex - I feel lucky - I get to ride till my new frame shows up:thumbsup:

If this is frame stays good I'm going to document it and send it off to the manufacturer - hopefully this will allow them to avoid crushing these frames if they see more like this one. I was told to destroy this frame and send pictures - when the new one arrives. If it holds up I'm going to ask them if would be OK to donate it to the USA cycling program - I don't have anything to do with the program, I just happened to run into a coach in an LBS the other day. This frame would be awesome for some aspiring kid. :)
the repaired frame+hanger might be stronger off than the new frame :)
my fd hanger is actually bolt-on w/o any glue and the bolts are not larger than the ones you used. Your fix should hold up nicely...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brblue said:
the repaired frame+hanger might be stronger off than the new frame :)
my fd hanger is actually bolt-on w/o any glue and the bolts are not larger than the ones you used. Your fix should hold up nicely...
Thanks... JB Weld FTW :D :D :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts