Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this question has been asked a million times, but the search feature isn't working for me...

I am looking to get my first fixed gear bike, but I don't know what I want! I was set on getting the Giant Bowery until I actually saw one in person. It was too heavy, and too sturdy looking for what I want, if that makes any sense.

I am looking for a commuter, normally going on 5 miles rides, but probably not farther than a 10 mile radius from my house. I am also concerned about looks, obviously. I love the way the JHS (the LBS won't be able to order one and have it in stock until the end of next month) and the Jamis Sputnik (out of my price range) looks... There are a lot of people with Bianchi's and I don't want one of those...

Any suggestions would be awesome!

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
The search function only works if you are registers and logged in. Try it again.

Other wise going used. $500 can get you something very nice and even the Jamis if you can find one.

Good Luck.

· Registered
868 Posts
Look at the bikes from Bike Direct, they have a few in your price range. Also look at the Fuji Track, SE Lager and the Schwinn Madison. I also think Lifelover had great advice look for something used. Craigslist is a good place to start

· passes gas, let him draft
129 Posts
Get a beach cruiser from Electra and swap out the front chainring for a smaller one. You'll look and feel comfy for those quick short rides.

· Registered
17 Posts
do you want to spend $500 on a bike your only going to ride for 5-10 miles at a time? You will probably want to ride the bike more once you buy it (which ever bike that is). I have an SE lager that i got for $380 (retail is about $500). A very good bike for the money, you might just want a new seat (the stock one sucks) and some people don't like the position of the brake levers so that's something else to consider (I don't mind it). If you want to spend very little money you could get the SE Draft. It's about $275-$295 i think. All the parts are pretty junky. You get what you pay for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.