Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that cross bikes are adequate on the road with slicks, but if you were to choose just one frame to do both, which one would it be? I simply don't have the cash to keep a road, cross and mtb around the house. Ideally I think I would like to have a Giant TCX, but realistically I think it will be a Jamis Nova, Bianchi Axis, or Lemond Propad. Suggestions outside of these bikes are welcomed!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think the Cannondale is a super bike that seems to sell used for a very fair price. The Redline is a decent machine to add to your list, also the Kona, especially if you can swap out the three ton fork.

Sizing is tricky, if you buy a correct road size, it's a bit big for off road, and vice versa. You could make a decision and live with it or perhaps buy a different stem and switch it seasonally, along with tires and the large chainring if you elect to ride with the fast crowd on the road.

Be careful of the weight on some of the lower end bikes, some can be needlessly heavy, also look out for the worthless wheels many of them come with new, see if the shop can swap for an upcharge to something that will last more than 10 minutes. Also, compare the components beyond the shifters, they tend to save money on things like seatpost and such. Make sure you leave with the correct width handlebars and stem length+rise, even if the shop has to do some swaps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jroden said:
Sizing is tricky, if you buy a correct road size, it's a bit big for off road, and vice versa. You could make a decision and live with it or perhaps buy a different stem and switch it seasonally, along with tires and the large chainring if you elect to ride with the fast crowd on the road.
Sizing is what has me really looking at the Nova. 53cm frame has a 55.5cm toptube, which sounds like a good 'tweener size for road/cross.
As far as weight goes, I can stand a pound here or there as long as the components are decent. For the most part, I know what are and what aren't good components, with the exception of wheelsets. I'd be happy with a mostly 105 drivetrain and I'm not terribly worried about bars, stems or seatposts right off the bat, but I'm clueless when it comes to wheels.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
well, if you need an even increment top tube, no sweat, but for example I needed a 57, so much fewer choices. Be aware that a cross bike is a lot taller also. look at the dimensions you quoted, that's a lot of tt...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of the bikes that I have been looking at seem to be long in the toptube unless you get into the itty bitty sizes. I know most people say to bump down a frame size, but if that were the case, only 7' people would be buying the majority of the 60cm+ bikes. The TCX and Nova both have 55.5 effective toptube lengths in their medium and 53cm framesizes, respectively. The Axis and Propad have significantly longer toptubes, and both of their frames fall from 55 to 52cm- 55 has 56+ eff toptube and the 52 has 54-. Seems too big and too small, not to mention that the 52 is the next to smallest size that both companies offer. I'm not that short at 5'10.5", so I can't imagine that I need to hop on one of their smallest bikes!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Redline

I have been using my Redline as my road bike and cross bike. For the months that are mostly road riding I rotate the bars a little - placing the brake levers a little lower and further from me which also flattened out the drops wich I do not really use for cross. I have a few sets of wheels and tires and mix and match accordingly. I have not yet changed the front chainring - maybe I will if I really race the bike on the road. For my purposes using one bike has worked very well so far.

David K

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
for the money i think there are better options than the TCX, note that if you are buying used some of the earlier ones had 135 rear spacing for disk use. I think the compact frame is a crummy idea for cross use, personally. I rode a tcx for a year and never liked how it handled, but a lot of people have done well on them, so who knows.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
don't like the compact either

I think the Bianchis are a great value.I have the higher priced Cross Concept and she sees tons of road duty during the year. (use as a commuter and also a climbing bike)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Any cross bike will get the job done. I bought my Cannondale XR800 in 2001 and every February I change from a raised 110mm stem to a 120 flat, 48 chainring goes out for a 53, tires get swapped (weekly occurence for cross anyhow) and the bottle cages go on. I have raced, successfully more than a few times and it has seen the majortiy of my training miles for 5 years now. Sure it's a little smaller than a road frame would be but it's not that noticeable once you get used to it.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
If cost were no object, I'd go for the Moots Psychlo-x with the 6/4 Titanium upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts