Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
That complicated pattern looks like it it is premade (started out as a quilt) and then just slipped onto the bar and then the levers are put on the bar followed by an actual tape job on the lower bar. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
It's called "Fred" Tape. Just google it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
That complicated pattern looks like it it is premade (started out as a quilt) and then just slipped onto the bar and then the levers are put on the bar followed by an actual tape job on the lower bar. Just my opinion.
Yes, if you look near the brake hood, the wrinkles make it look like some kind of "sock" over the handlebars.:yesnod:

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Nice play on a harlequin wrap. Very tough to do with anything other than cloth tape.

If I recall correctly, some people used to wrap that way and then clear coat it to make sure it stayed pretty.

And no, it's not a premade "sock" that they stuck over the bar....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice play on a harlequin wrap. Very tough to do with anything other than cloth tape.

If I recall correctly, some people used to wrap that way and then clear coat it to make sure it stayed pretty.

OK, I guess they just wrapped it a little loose in a couple of spots.:blush2:

Kudos for people putting the time in do achieve such results though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've seen locals with 2 colors done in that style, but for the life of me, I can't see how it can be done with 3 colors and come out with that pattern.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Back in the day, the harlequin wrap tape of choice was super thin plastic Benotto.

Benotto Bicycle | Benotto Classic Handle Bar tape

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've seen locals with 2 colors done in that style, but for the life of me, I can't see how it can be done with 3 colors and come out with that pattern.

Steve.
The reason you cant figure out how to do it with three colors is because it is done with 4.

1 - White
1 - Red
2 - Black

Simple over under tube braid. Similar to the outside braid of a climbing rope just with far less strands.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I saw this on reddit and i just had to share. Im trying to figure out how they wrapped the bars, it would look so good on my bike.

So does anyone know how this was done, I have an understanding of how to do the two color version, but 3 colors has got me guessing.

·
Registered
345 Posts
So does anyone know how this was done, I have an understanding of how to do the two color version, but 3 colors has got me guessing.
Man it still looks like a sock to me. The red doesn't look the identical color as the red tape below and the texture looks different and fuzzy.

But I found another example on Flickr:

There's a brief description of how to do it in the comments, you could probably ask the pic owner too and they might tell you.

New Handlebar tape | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It does look a lot better than the two-color versions, IMHO.

·
Velocipediologist
1,562 Posts
I wonder if the owner gets beat up much.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts