Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
The Bike Genie
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its taboo, but i ride with headphones, always have, always will. Unfortunately (contrary to my previous statement) i have been riding without them for the past week because i put mine through the washing machine.

For those of you who do ride with headphones, what type do you use and how do you like them? I was riding with the skull candy full metal jackets. They sounded great and had a remote answer button/mike mid-cord so i could answer phone calls on my iPhone without removing it from my jersey pocket. They didn't fit my ears well though.

Any input on other trypes?

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
kinda personal.

I picked up some Phillips at the Apple store that work with the phone too. They have the little loop that goes over the ear cuz the earbud type won't stay in my ears at all. They're ok. Then again I don't want anything that inserts fully into my ears while riding.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
DanTourino said:
why is that? :rolleyes:
He's probably afraid a car will come up behind you and smack into you, seriously injuring you or killing you. If you don't have headphones on, you'll be able to hear it happen, if you do you might miss the initial crunch, but you'll hear better when they get knocked loose :D
That or where he's from they have a serious issue with riders wearing headphones swerving into other riders, causing mayhem and untold carnage on the M.U.T.

·
The Bike Genie
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nOOky said:
He's probably afraid a car will come up behind you and smack into you, seriously injuring you or killing you. If you don't have headphones on, you'll be able to hear it happen, if you do you might miss the initial crunch, but you'll hear better when they get knocked loose :D
That or where he's from they have a serious issue with riders wearing headphones swerving into other riders, causing mayhem and untold carnage on the M.U.T.
If i am going to get hit, it will sound like a car is coming up behind me, I'm in SoCal, there's always cars coming up behind me, only difference is I'll hear the car hit me which i prefer not to. LOL I never wear my earphones on group rides.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Sensitive subject i suppose. Two weeks ago i was overtaking a rider on a climb. As I neared to pass, I called out the customary "on your left" but the douche didn't hear me. As I rode beside him, he panicked, swerved, and crashed us both.

I will from now on deliberately crash anybody with earplugs as a preemptive strike.
Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've enjoyed my Shure headphones. My current pair seems to be less impressive than my first pair, but not bad. Better than most other offerings at the $100 level.

I don't use them while riding, though. I sweat too much. Major bummer. I go for my cheaper headphones for that, and only on longer rides.

I came across a guy on a P4 once, with his iphone and everything. I passed him with no problem. Maybe you just need to pass wider or faster. I always pass with at minimum 3 feet, stomping the pedals if necessary. I don't think I've ever called out "on your left" after it became apparent that most people don't understand what that means or don't react to it. I just give them a lot of room and pass them using the other lane.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Yea, when overtaking it's the rider in the rears' responsibility to overtake safely. I guess maybe give 'em a wider berth next time? I get right out in the lane when a situation like that comes up. People don't always acknowdge it for some other reason, exactly why I never yell "on your left" I just safely pass them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
HIMEHEEM said:
Sensitive subject i suppose. Two weeks ago i was overtaking a rider on a climb. As I neared to pass, I called out the customary "on your left" but the douche didn't hear me. As I rode beside him, he panicked, swerved, and crashed us both.

I will from now on deliberately crash anybody with earplugs as a preemptive strike.
Thanks for asking.

I had a similar experience. A rider with headphones ran into me, causing damage to my bike and some injury to me. On top of that he was a dick and refused to cover the damages to my bike. I then contacted an attorney and we subsequently sued his ass. What would have cost him few hundred to repair damages to my bike ended up costing him close to $30K for damages, injuries, fees, etc.

The judge noted that reckless on his part for wearing the headphones influenced the amount of the award.

·
Armchair Director Sportif
134 Posts
Skull Candies

Since I spend a lot of time living out of hotels I don't ride as much as I would like, but I make sure that I have access to a tread mills or lifecycles when I roll into my "home". My skulls have kept me happy for almost 2 years now. They don't fall out and have even survived one trip through the washer and dryer. I bought these for comfort, non-falling out ability, and low price (expected to replace them more often due to sweat showers). I wasn't looking for the best sounding earphones / buds, that is a whole 'nother conversation. Not bad for 15 bucks.

STinGa

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have some $10 TDK earbuds that I have had for 4 years maybe. They are also the kind that wrap around the ear, those are probably the best.

One more thing, the wire has started to stiffen (i.e. I can bend it and it keeps its shape) ever since I started wearing it cycling, probably from the heat ad sweat. For this reason, cheaper may be worse. or better if you don't want to worry about messing them up?

·
The Bike Genie
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geoman said:
I have some $10 TDK earbuds that I have had for 4 years maybe. They are also the kind that wrap around the ear, those are probably the best.

One more thing, the wire has started to stiffen (i.e. I can bend it and it keeps its shape) ever since I started wearing it cycling, probably from the heat ad sweat. For this reason, cheaper may be worse. or better if you don't want to worry about messing them up?
I finally picked up some Bang and Olufsen A8 headphones. At $160 retail, I couldn't pass them up @ the $40 I paid for them. Hopefully they are all they're cracked up to be! I guess they don't need to be that good, i only use the right one when riding but we'll see!

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
DanTourino said:
I know its taboo, but i ride with headphones, always have, always will. Unfortunately (contrary to my previous statement) i have been riding without them for the past week because i put mine through the washing machine.

For those of you who do ride with headphones, what type do you use and how do you like them? I was riding with the skull candy full metal jackets. They sounded great and had a remote answer button/mike mid-cord so i could answer phone calls on my iPhone without removing it from my jersey pocket. They didn't fit my ears well though.

Any input on other trypes?
I have no idea which model of Skull Candy headphones you use, but I am wondering how they do not fit you well.

With that said, I don't even know which model of Skull Candy headphones I use, but they fit me really well. They come with three sets of soft plastic inserts and they are the best fitting headphones I have ever used while riding. I picked them up at Target on sale for $11. I bought the first set because I wanted to try them for riding (i.e., I cut off the left side of the headphones so I only have it in my right ear). I liked it so much after riding with it a single day that I went over to Target and bought a second set to use for everyday stuff.

FYI - I NEVER take calls while riding. It is one thing to listen to music while riding and hammer out a tempo, but a completely different thing to take a call, especially a call that requires a lot of thought.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Dave IV said:
I had a similar experience. A rider with headphones ran into me, causing damage to my bike and some injury to me. On top of that he was a dick and refused to cover the damages to my bike. I then contacted an attorney and we subsequently sued his ass. What would have cost him few hundred to repair damages to my bike ended up costing him close to $30K for damages, injuries, fees, etc.

The judge noted that reckless on his part for wearing the headphones influenced the amount of the award.
Seriously, $30,000? Did you have to go to the hospital? Any broken bones? I wish I practiced personal injury law where you live because that would be a great award, and a great fee. Pretty much unheard of around here for soft tissue injury.

Now, what about the headphones caused him to run into you? Would he have been able to hear you had he not had the headphones on, and if that is so, would he have been able to avoid you as a result of having heard you?

·
The Bike Genie
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fabsroman said:
I have no idea which model of Skull Candy headphones you use, but I am wondering how they do not fit you well.

With that said, I don't even know which model of Skull Candy headphones I use, but they fit me really well. They come with three sets of soft plastic inserts and they are the best fitting headphones I have ever used while riding. I picked them up at Target on sale for $11. I bought the first set because I wanted to try them for riding (i.e., I cut off the left side of the headphones so I only have it in my right ear). I liked it so much after riding with it a single day that I went over to Target and bought a second set to use for everyday stuff.

FYI - I NEVER take calls while riding. It is one thing to listen to music while riding and hammer out a tempo, but a completely different thing to take a call, especially a call that requires a lot of thought.
I had the full metal jackets. They were great sound but the buds were a bit heavy and the controller/mic always got caught and pulled them out of my ears. I usually ride with the right one in, unless on the river trail or something. The B&O that I bought don't have a MIC so it'll stop my bad habit of taking calls while I ride, tough not to do when you're in sales... Though I had a client ask me if i was having sex last week... I digress.

My Skull Candie's would actually be perfect for riding now, after washing them only the right one works and that's the one I use.. LOL I guess the B&O's will be my gym/snowboarding headphones.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Creakyknees said:
you people are gonna miss your hearing when it's gone.

/ take it from the old guy.
By the time we are as old as you, medical science will have created little mechanical hearing aids/ear drums that we will be able to use for hearing. LOL

All kidding aside, I turn 40 next year and don't feel so young anymore. Then again, maybe it is the two kids that are wearing me out.

Luckily, my hearing is still pretty good with all the headphone wearing and shooting I do. At least most of the shooting is done with earplugs in place.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts