Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the Pyrenees climbs makes me wanna train more hills. I have found many of the 10-14% "walls" around town but I would like to find some longer ones.
Anyone know of good training climbs that aren't just rolling hills? Doubt if they exist around KC but I'd like to find some mile or longer 6 - 8% hills to train on.
Ideas?
Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
Longest I have yet to find in Shawnee/Lenexa is Quivira Lane, heading south off of Holiday Drive (Lake Quivira area). It appears to be about an 8%-10% grade overall, and runs a full mile to the top. Small flat section at about the 1/8 mile mark. A relative nut buster overall.
Johnson Drive between Pflumm and Monticello is also pretty hilly. Nothing horribly long, just steep grades. Ogg road north of Shawnee Mission park (heading south into the park) also sucks.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
hey dmar,

Dog ride in blue springs has a 2 mile general grade up that is not bad as it flattens out at the top, but its a constant up, especially at pace. It starts serious and puts some serious hurt into the group. Its way east though, almost to Oak Grove.

East has lots of good hills, especially to the north and east of independence. I did long climbing intervals up there in preparation for my first run at Triple Bypass and didnt have a a single problem there, and it climbed three mountain passes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.