Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that everyone's bum is shaped a little differently, but what brand is considered the best for long hauls? I ony have Pearl and Capo Forma right now which are both ok, but I'm gietting into longer events where the bum gets a little tender. It's nothing terrible but I'm more looking to upgrade to something that will make my bum more happy. Some soreness is inevitable, but what have you guys had good results with?

· Registered
620 Posts
I like top end Descente...

...also, believe it or not, Kraft makes some nice stuff. I got some really nice Swiss/Phonak bibs and jerseys at Sierra Trading Post for about 30 cents on the dollar last year...

· limit screwed
807 Posts
Do you use chamois cream? It's a lot cheaper than new bibs, and many people swear by it.

· $4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Bibs

tyro said:
I know that everyone's bum is shaped a little differently, but what brand is considered the best for long hauls? I ony have Pearl and Capo Forma right now which are both ok, but I'm gietting into longer events where the bum gets a little tender. It's nothing terrible but I'm more looking to upgrade to something that will make my bum more happy. Some soreness is inevitable, but what have you guys had good results with?
All personal preference, but I really like Louis Garneua bibs. I have pairs of Campy, Voler, Santini, still hanging in my closet but nothing is as comfy as LG's.

I second the opinion that you need something on the bibs for long rides. A week or two ago, I forgot to use my Bag Balm before a 60 mile ride on a humid, hot day. I paid for it in pain. Bag Balm is cheap ($7 for a tub), easy to find (and drug store) and works. OK, funny name and it smells a little different but it works. I've use superglide, chamois creame, Butt Butt'r, etc... but Bag Balm works best for me.

· Registered
6,319 Posts
my choices

tyro said:
I find that chamois with any stitching or that have a thick edge on them tend to be the most irritating. I have had great success with the Santini Twist Gel and Cannondale Surpass on long rides. The Twist Gel uses a gel-like chamois but the main benifit is that there are no exposed stiches attaching the chamois. The Surpass using a very elastic chamois and uses a very fine/soft thread to attached it. The seams are fused together to avoid irritation. I also use Bag Balm on ride >50 miles

· Registered
464 Posts
Assos are expensive but they fit beautifully, are extremely well-crafted and over the long-run, you'll end up saving $$$.

Mille, if you like a thicker pad. I'm like Min in PDX and prefer the thinner pad of the F1.Uno.

Also have a pair of the Castelli "Free" bib. Have worn these on epic rides like last Sat's B2B ride in New England (~7.5hr in the saddle, 148m). No problems. Like the F1, these have a thin pad as well.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah! I already use the Assos chamois cream. I don't know what I would do without it. I think I'll try the Assos. I've been wanting to for a while. I know that they are expensive, but I want to be comfortable too. The PI shorts are just this side of torture for me. They have that fancy chamois with all the nut-cutting grooves in it. I have a pair of Endura mtb liners and they have a simple flat pad that is WAY more comfy to me. I guess new technology is not always the best thing afterall. Go figure?

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check back later.

· Registered
44 Posts
tyro said:
Oh yeah! I already use the Assos chamois cream. I don't know what I would do without it. I think I'll try the Assos. I've been wanting to for a while. I know that they are expensive, but I want to be comfortable too. The PI shorts are just this side of torture for me. They have that fancy chamois with all the nut-cutting grooves in it. I have a pair of Endura mtb liners and they have a simple flat pad that is WAY more comfy to me. I guess new technology is not always the best thing afterall. Go figure?

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check back later.
Why is the cream so necessary?

PI are pretty weak compared to many of the current stuff available from other brands.

Gore Xenon bibs would be another to check out. They are slightly cheaper than the Assos, and, imo, of equal quality. They are like wearing a second skin.

If you want to try saving A LOT of money over the Assos, etc consider trying some branding with Hammer Nutritions Voler bibs. They go for $50 and are quite good. I used them for all my long distance rides before I found the Gore Xenon bibs. Now they've been relegated to everything but the weekly long ride. You can get a 15% discount if you've never ordered from them with a referral number (pm me)

Another good bib on the cheaper side for long rides is the Performance Ultra. I think they are very comfortable but durability is potentially an issue.

Neither of the above compare to the Xenon's but you could buy 4 pairs of hammer bibs for the price of Xenon's after tax.

· Registered
44 Posts
dekindy said:
Try Vaseline as a cheap alternative lube. See here:
http://www.rivbike.com/article/misc/saddle_sores

I would not assume that some soreness is inevitable. Regular riding, a good fit and saddle and chamois and lube are required and take some experimenting to achieve. But it is well worth it if you ride thousands of miles.
Lube is not required.

· Registered
473 Posts
+1 on the LG bibs. I also rode this morning for the first time in my new Sugoi RS bibs and they seem at least as good as the LGs. I'm doing a multi-day ride this weekend and will be taking both along for their first real "long distance" tests, so we'll see how that goes.

This will also be my first time trying the chamois stuff. Do you just goop this onto the chamois before putting on the shorts? Sounds kinda gross, but if that's the thing to do...

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I find that I don't have to use the lube, but it is so much nicer with it. I do get sores because I have a really boney but and I get chafed hotspots right on the sit bones. The cream heats up after a while and things just glide rather than stick. I just rub it on me, not on the chamois.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
PaulCL said:
All personal preference, but I really like Louis Garneua bibs. I have pairs of Campy, Voler, Santini, still hanging in my closet but nothing is as comfy as LG's.

I second the opinion that you need something on the bibs for long rides. A week or two ago, I forgot to use my Bag Balm before a 60 mile ride on a humid, hot day. I paid for it in pain. Bag Balm is cheap ($7 for a tub), easy to find (and drug store) and works. OK, funny name and it smells a little different but it works. I've use superglide, chamois creame, Butt Butt'r, etc... but Bag Balm works best for me.
+1M on the personal preference. I was on a trip and purchased a set of LG bibs (that is all the store had), as I forgot to bring mine. the chamois is fine, but not a real fan of the material. I have had good luck with the various strains of Volers. I have never tried Assos, probably should, but truthfully I have never really had a bad experience with any bib. I think the key is that you just get used to whatever you ride. Keep em clean and give it time.

I suppose a real key is to not start riding in warm weather. (I know some of you can't avoid it) but the sweat and bacteria buildup really contributes to an unpleasant experience. Get your a$$ used to the hard miles in the saddle at a time when it is cooler (early morning, or preferably, early season).

HTH
zac

· Registered
1,346 Posts
rochrunner said:
+1 on the LG bibs. I also rode this morning for the first time in my new Sugoi RS bibs and they seem at least as good as the LGs. ......
Argh, I just shredded a pair of Sugoi's in a crash two weeks ago. My daughter patched them up, but wont be wearing them until my hip is all closed up. To the OP, good very durable bib, the Sugoi's are.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
dekindy said:
Try Vaseline as a cheap alternative lube. See here:
http://www.rivbike.com/article/misc/saddle_sores

I would not assume that some soreness is inevitable. Regular riding, a good fit and saddle and chamois and lube are required and take some experimenting to achieve. But it is well worth it if you ride thousands of miles.
+1 when needed. Hey we all get saddle sores on occasion if you ride long enough.

I have never used anything but Vaseline, but I would say that is only on days were it is going to be hot (as a preventative measure), or I already have a sore going on.

After the ride, I use Goldbond medicated powder after showering.

Whoever mentioned the Hammer bibs: +10 that is what I ride. Cheap, top of the line Volers. Also 53x11 coffee sells the same short too, and just as cheaply.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I just got the Assos Mille and Equipe and they just do not work for me. The legs are a tad loose and they are too tight in the shoulders. The "boys" are not very happy in them either. I am a bit disappointed, but the Assos leg, arm, and knee warmers are stellar in every way. I think I'll try the LG or Volers next. I may get another set of Capo Formas, which have been the best for me so far. I'd like to find something without all the ridges and stuff in the chamois. I like the old school, plain chamois to the new dual density, ass-cutter style.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.