Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new saddle. I have tried both a Selle Italia and Brooks saddle and neither were very good on long rides. I have a 12 hour ride coming up in 2007 and the thought of sitting on either of these makes me cringe. I've heard good things about the Specialized Body Geometery saddles, what have you heard? I'm looking for something to fit on my road bike that will give as much comfort as possible for long rides. Thanks.

Beau

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
813 Posts
Track bike rider here

I routinely do long rides on my track bike (100-160 miles). I have been riding the Selle Flite Titanium since they came out years ago. I have never had a problem with my choice. I buy them off ebay whenever I need a "new" one and have a bunch stashed away for when they are harder to find.

I am hitting the road for another 160 mile ride this Thursday on the track bike.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Saddles are a personal thing. What works for me won't necessarily work for you, and vice versa. You need to look at your saddle and think about what works and doesn't work for you. Ways to compare saddles:

-width, both nose and back
-curvature from front to back. Some saddles are flat, some curve up in the back.
-curvature from side to side. "crowned" saddles put more of your weight on the center, flatter saddles put more on the sit bones.
-amount of padding
-center cutouts

BTW Selle Italia makes about 100 different saddles. They have some very different shapes in that lineup.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Toupe' BG

I love my Specialized Toupe' saddle, I feel like I could ride ALL DAY long.
Just make sure you have your "Sit-Bones" measured for proper width sizing, mine is 143... They also make a 130 I believe.
Plus Specialized makes other models too.

·
Looks fast, rides slow
268 Posts
I love my Specialized Alias saddle. It has body geometry cut-out, plus it comes in three different width. Specialized dealers should have a special gel pad that you can sit on to measure your sit bone width...be warned that skinny butt doesn't equal narrow sit bone.

K-Zero

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Flite for me too

onespeed said:
...I have been riding the Selle Flite Titanium since they came out years ago...
As noted, saddles are personal. You might also consider what shorts/chamois you are using as well as try some lubricant such as Chamois Butt'r. Another item that can affect how comfortable a saddle is would be your bike fit. Have you been properly fitted?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.