Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any good recommendations for routable cycling maps for the Garmin Edge 810? I loaded on some OSM maps from Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap -- they seem to work, but they are lacking any kind of points of interest. Are there any free maps (preferably designed for cycling) that include POIs? I'm new to the whole OSM thing and am a little confused by the number of options out there. Right now I'm only looking for Northeast USA, particularly NJ/NY/CT

I'm open to buying the Garmin City Navigator North America maps but would like to avoid spending the $$ if there is a decent free option out there. Alternatively, if there is value in mixing (OSM for routing, City Nav for POI?) I'd be open to that too...

Thanks!

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I have been using the Topo maps that are free. I use the base maps for on the road and load the different state Topo maps. You can leave both active and they seem to play nice with each other. They have an amazing amount of local MTB trails on the Topo maps, and you can creat routes off of the trails in Basecamp and upload the courses to the 810. GPSFileDepot - Garmin Compatible Custom Maps is a great source for free maps. They have the Topo maps for every state. They break down the available maps by state.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have been using the Topo maps that are free. I use the base maps for on the road and load the different state Topo maps. You can leave both active and they seem to play nice with each other. They have an amazing amount of local MTB trails on the Topo maps, and you can creat routes off of the trails in Basecamp and upload the courses to the 810. GPSFileDepot - Garmin Compatible Custom Maps is a great source for free maps. They have the Topo maps for every state. They break down the available maps by state.
dude, thanks for this! been looking for free maps (apparently not hard enough :) ) since i bought my North America Edge but live in the Philippines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.