Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I have been having a blast looking at old movie classics. He is only 10, so I need to be a bit careful on some selection.

Young Frankenstien, for example, he loves the "nice Knockers" joke, but I fast forward through some of the other "risky" parts.

He is now officially in the the guy club since he can quote most of MP's Holy Grail.

Now I want to bring in some of those old English dubbed martial arts flicks. Those that have incredible fighting sequences but would like to keep the "risky" parts to a minimum. Any suggestions??

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
Pardon me for recommending any Bruce Lee films, which might be considered too cliche', but The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, or The Way of the Dragon are all excellent films. A number of the antagnonists in these films are quite goofy so your son might get a kick out of seeing them knocked on their butts.

Enter the Dragon, Bruce Lee's most famous could fit the bill, but it's in English.

One thing is for sure, the fights scenes are truly spectacular, most (if not all) of which were choreographed by Lee himself.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Bruce Lee's "enter the dragon" is considered the classic. very 1970's flick, complete with large afros and , if I recall, leisure suits. It can be had at BestBuy for $12. It does have a couple "risky" spots, but ,hey, its the 70's.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
On a lighter note, my favourites have to be the classic battles between Chief Insp. Jacques Closeau (Peter Sellers) and Cato (Burt Kwouk) from the Pink Panther movie series. Geez, I don't think I have ever laughed so much as when watching these two trying kill each other, until the telephone rings and them taking a semi-break, usually with one of them headlocking the other. Great stuff :).
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
113 Posts
IMO, Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon and Return of the Dragon are the top 2 martial arts films of all time. Bruce and Chuck Norris fighting in the Coliseum in "Return" is classic. Some of Jackie Chan's flicks and corny Kung Fu flicks like "Master of the Flying Guillotine" are also good.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
lousylegs said:
Got to show him, Kung-Pow.
Hey lousy,
Is that a cow doing some wicked kick move???
Wayne

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'll second 'Fist of Legend' (Jet Li) - great, great! fighting scenes.

No risque (or risky) parts, iirc. :)

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Hey lousy,
Is that a cow doing some wicked kick move???
Wayne
Yes, it is. Kung-pow is really a simply awful movie, one of those ones that is purposefully so bad that it is hilarious. The cow fight scence is making fun of the matrix.

The guy who made it took parts of old kung-fu movies and dubbed over them and then added scences with himself. Friggin stupid, but quite funny.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Couple of other ones that a kid might like

Are the two Steven Chow movies: Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. Both are pretty tame, but funny.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
enter the dragon is the classic.. i've seen a french flick called the red dragon, bridget fonda is in it. it's set in paris but the hero is chinese and so is the director. visually slick (it's french) and the pace is good.
i like steven seagals and chuck, rbr founding father, norris.
anything w/ bad guys being kicked w/ technique is fine. throw muscle cars, a crying girl and a shotgun.. i'm watching.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
lousylegs said:
Are the two Steven Chow movies: Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. Both are pretty tame, but funny.
+1. Both of my sons are also soccer players so they got a real kick (haha, get it) out of Shaolin Soccer, particularly.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Get the whole early Bruce Lee collection.

Fist of Fury was awesome. Big Boss. damn!
God I iused to have this crazy film about Kung Fu in the afterlife, was an early take on the Myths and Legends Genre but I can't remember its name. and for the one you really need
The original Drunken Master (Where Jackie learns the 7 drunken fighting styles from his boozy uncle) The Second Drunken Master was good (this is the one they re-did for the US)
but lacks the great comedy of the first. Plus the opening fight scene where JAckie gets whupped by his aunt is Fantastic. There is also a documentary from the 70's called "Black ...." can't remember wholename.It's about the first World Karate Champs where non Japanese fought. Real fighting, not staged.

·
Registered
530 Posts
ENTER THE DRAGON. Then you can segue into Kareem Abdul Jabbar history and eventually Airplane: The Movie (wait 'til he's thirteen and has already heard all of the dirty jokes at school).

I've only seen a few Jet Li movies, but he's incredible. He even made the otherwise putrid Lethal Weapon IV less than a complete waste of time when he kicked Mel and Danny in their fat heads so fast it was mind-boggling. Wish that whole movie had been Jet Li beating up on Mel and Danny but I digress....

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
well I'm just waiting until this digresses

into Samurai movies. call me then. Speaking of Ninja Turtles and Samurai, anyone ever seen "Samurai Assasins"?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
atpjunkie said:
into Samurai movies. call me then. Speaking of Ninja Turtles and Samurai, anyone ever seen "Samurai Assasins"?
I think I have seen this. Good stuff with the great Toshiro Mifune. Also see "Roshomon" or the "Seven Samurai", both excellent Akira Kurosawa films. Speaking of Kurosawa, I'd highly recommend "Ran" or "Akira Kurosawa's Dreams", but you must see them in their original letterbox format on as big a screen as possible. Not so much for fighting, but great films with incredible cinematography.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Maybe my favorite samurai movie was "Zatoichi meets Yojimbo", an inspired pairing of the lead characters of two classic series, with Zatoichi the blind masseur and Yojimbo the amoral ronin. Sort of like having Steven Seagal squaring off against Mel Gibson.

Toshiro Mifune was actually surprisingly gifted at comedy, which was a good thing, since this picture was played pretty much for laughs. "Seven Samurai" had one of his all-time best performances; he put a phenomenal amount of energy into the role. He had to be one of my 5 favorite actors.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts