Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ATT Universalcard now that I've had forever--I mainly got it because at the time there were few cards with no annual fees. Now they are common. The card really does little to nothing other than not charge me an annual fee. I pay off my statement balance monthly so interest rate is not a big deal. I think this card I have now is something ridiculous like 17% anyway.

So...do I get a cash back card or some other "rewards" type card? Which ones do you like?

Also...assuming I should not close out the other MC if I get a new one since I've had this forever--I read somewhere that your credit score gets dinged if you close out cards you've had for a long time.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
First of all, does it HAVE TO be a MC? If you're willing to go AMEX, and you shop at CostCo, you MUST consider the CostCo AMEX card.

Renewing your CostCo membership each year is your membership fee.

3% cash back at any restaurant that accepts it
3% cash back on gas
2% cash back on travel
1% cash back on everything else.

I got $321 back this year. And no, do not close your other account :)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm my att universal was converted to Citi YEARS ago....3% cash back....

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RoadBikeVirgin said:
First of all, does it HAVE TO be a MC? If you're willing to go AMEX, and you shop at CostCo, you MUST consider the CostCo AMEX card.

Renewing your CostCo membership each year is your membership fee.

3% cash back at any restaurant that accepts it
3% cash back on gas
2% cash back on travel
1% cash back on everything else.

I got $321 back this year. And no, do not close your other account :)
I have a cash back AMEX already that pays about the same as COSTCOs card does. Got about $300 back on it.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
REI Visa - 1% cash back on every purchase, no annual fee but I'm the same way regarding the interest rate and not even sure what it is. I use it for everything and that is nicely reflected in the annual dividend check.

You're probably also an REI member, but when using my dividend check last night I was reminded that members now get $4.99 shipping (or free with Patagonia stuff right now).

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kykr13 said:
REI Visa - 1% cash back on every purchase, no annual fee but I'm the same way regarding the interest rate and not even sure what it is. I use it for everything and that is nicely reflected in the annual dividend check.

You're probably also an REI member, but when using my dividend check last night I was reminded that members now get $4.99 shipping (or free with Patagonia stuff right now).
Yeah I'm a member--we have a REI in Boulder also.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
kykr13 said:

Yeah thanks for adding that one as well :) My dad's got the REI VISA and uses that for everything that's NOT restaurants, travel, or gas :)

I've got a 1% VISA rewards from Harborstone (my bank) - everytime you get $25.00 worth you click a button and it goes toward your account ;)

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
We went to Spain in May on American FF miles (*everything* we buy goes on that card).... They tried to switch us to a MasterCard, along with a bonus of 20K miles, but we quickly found that a bunch of our favorite places only take visa. We pretty much pay everything off every month, so the interest rate differences don't matter much.

Our AT card does give us double mfgr's. warranty, so that's something to consider.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Capital One has several different cards and you can build your own if one of their regular cards doesn't fit your requirements. We put everything on our card and pay it off every month so we don't worry about interest rate either. We use the points for plane flights since we usually fly numerous times a year. Depending on our spending (this year will be high due to a wedding. Doin' our part to help out the economy!) we can usually get up to four flights a year. That's at least $800 worth or rewards. You can also get merchandise and other services with some of their cards. It's been a good card for us. No Hassle Rewards but they have many other cards. http://www.capitalone.com/creditcar...D_A1070BFBFCFB8DFBEE1076F0_HOME_H1_03_T_CCPCP

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mel Erickson said:
Capital One has several different cards and you can build your own if one of their regular cards doesn't fit your requirements. We put everything on our card and pay it off every month so we don't worry about interest rate either. We use the points for plane flights since we usually fly numerous times a year. Depending on our spending (this year will be high due to a wedding. Doin' our part to help out the economy!) we can usually get up to four flights a year. That's at least $800 worth or rewards. You can also get merchandise and other services with some of their cards. It's been a good card for us. No Hassle Rewards but they have many other cards. http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/products/compare/?linkid=WWW_1208_CARD_A1070BFBFCFB8DFBEE1076F0_HOME_H1_03_T_CCPCP

Is it this one that you have then? Are the rewards they offer OK? Guess I could just redeem for Target gift cards as we are always shopping there.

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcar...WWW_0608_CARD_TGUNS05_CCPCP_C2_03_T_CP83504EW

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
My card is kind of a hybrid between the No Hassle Points Rewards and No Hassle Miles Rewards cards. I got it before the types of rewards were split so I can redeem my points for travel, shopping, gift cards, charity, cash or to discount a previous purchase. Pretty flexible. It's like the card you referenced but with the ability to redeem for plane tickets too.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
The Target and Amazon cards both look interesting.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
REI visa

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gutfiddle said:
Thing is though...I rarely shop at REI unless it's the annual clearance. Their prices are too high.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
We buy a lot from Target but I think plane tickets are the best buy. This, of course, depends on the price of the ticket. If the ticket you're buying is at the upper end of the points category then it's a great buy. If it's at the lower end you're probably better off taking your rewards in a gift card or something else that pays better. We just flew to Arizona and are debating whether to use our points for those plane tickets or save them for future tickets. The cost of our tickets to Phoenix was kinda on the cusp. We've also got an advantage, we can swing both ways with our card. The cards Capital One offers now are either for merchandise or plane flights, not both. You can design a card that gives you 1% cash back and double points for travel and lodging, $0 annual fee and 13.9% interest. This would be as close as you could get to our card.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Thing is though...I rarely shop at REI unless it's the annual clearance. Their prices are too high.
At the very least, they periodically have some really good prices on REI Outlet, especially baselayers ;)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Argentius said:
Roger THAT.

I like REI a bunch as a company, but can't really shop there...
I just got my dividend in the mail--a little over $5. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts