Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which shorts do you think are the best / most comfortable out there? I am pretty happy with most of the Specialized stuff and am considering their body geometry shorts, but want to consider others too if there is something better. How about Extondo?

I am looking for something that has good fit without a lot of shifting and rubbing and that still has a pretty comfortable chamois.

Matt

· Registered
906 Posts
Best bibs/shorts are those that agree with you. While my Craft shorts have great fabrics the chamois is too wide in the front for me, and therefor causes pain until it settles into place (this can take a while). :mad:

However, I don't think that's what you were looking for, so I'll throw out some names.

Assos
Castelli (I do think the Free bibs are quite amazing).
Etxe Ondo

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
It's a bit like the 'best saddle' question - an entirely personal thing. I honestly like some of my cheaper things more than my more expensive ones.

Exte ondo has a good rep, but they're too fashion driven for my tastes.

Assos is a sort of gold standard, but has a rep for being somewhat fragile (and way spendy.)

Castelli is my personal sweet spot - just the ergo's. The higher lines are great, but I don't see the value differential to cost. But if anyone wants to buy me a pair of Frees for Christmas, I'll let them.

I've been happy enough with Voler team kit, though I've had a pair with an uncomfortable chamois now and then.

· Registered
638 Posts
I havent tried them yet but specialized just released a new Roubiaix version of their BG bibs that is designed for the long haul. Im planning on ordering one up real soon. Ive been wearing Descente shorts for a year now and theyve been good to me. My last pair was Pearl Izumi and they sucked.... but keep in mind that I cheaped out.. PI makes great stuff, just not in the low price range.

· Registered
2,931 Posts
I used to wear the Specialized BG Pro bib. Wasn't impressed at all with the durability, but I ride a lot, so that might not be an issue with you. What's funny is that I wore them for a lot of miles, moved on and then went back an wore them several months later. I really hated the diaper-like chamois. It looks like they may have addressed this with their "SL" model:

This revolutionary Body Geometry bib short offers high-end performance in a less bulky, minimalist design for those who prefer a closer-to-the-saddle feel
Others will be able to suggest other bibs in this price range ($165) that are better.

For me, the Assos FI 13 S2 is absolutely perfect. A lot of money, but I wish I could get credit for all the bibs I have in my closet that wore out way too quickly, really didn't fit or feel that great, etc. Regarding danl1's comments; I've busted threads that hold the chamois in place and sent them to Switzerland for repair. Good as new. :) I do take a little better care of them by using a garment bag for them when washing, but other than that, nothing special. It does look like the pairs I have are starting to show wear, but they've got a lot of miles on them, and still fit and feel great.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
I got a couple sets of top end PI's and they kill my bum. I have some Capo Forma which are a little better. I am going take the Assos plunge next and see if they work for me. I think it is just trial and error at some level. I am going to try one of each of the Assos and see which ones feel the best and get a few sets of those. I know it's pricey but I have a really boney bum and I get sore at times. Get a good saddle too. That can make all the difference in the world.

· Almost Not a Newbie
74 Posts
My favorite bibs are two Specialized bibs I bought on eBay. Perfect chamois--not thick but firm, and seamless. Next come Voler bibs--far and away the best for the money.

· Registered
3,863 Posts
Best and Best wearing unfortunately don't always go together. Best fitting/most comfortable for me were Hincapie's, but they lasted on one season. I have some Voler's that are a few seasons old that have lot's of life in them and I find them comfortable.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. I'm a tightwad and only buy stuff on sale or close outs. I can find bib shorts for under $40.00.

I have not tried the Specialized clothing, most of the Specialized stuff I have used works fine. Maybe you should stick with what works for you.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
The Capo Formas are the best for me so far. I've tried Caselli, PI, and most recently Assos. While I like the Assos arm, knee, and leg warmers, the bib shorts fit me really strange and the boys were not happy at all. My body type is tall and slender and so I have kind of a weird fit on some bibs.

· fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
I like the Nike Swift bibs, like the ones Disco wore. And Desente makes a nice higher end bib. My Nalini's have a funky chamois that gives the ole' undercarriage the "hows your father". This is not a good thing, however after a few washings this is improving.

· Registered
44 Posts
Gore Xenon and Hammer Nutrition bibs(voler w/ ion sl pad) are my current stock. I also have Performance Ultra's. I like them all but the Gore are better than the other two - also cost a lot more. They fit like a 2nd skin.

The performance and hammer are about equal, imo, for me as far as comfort goes. Oddly, they are very different shorts. The fabric is completely different. Also, the Perf. chamois is very soft and not densely padded where the hammer has a touch more density, is not as soft, and is slightly wider in the rear.

The performance, thus far, are not proving to be durable, which is a shame because I think they are great shorts for the price. perhaps I got a bum pair, but they are wearing down pretty fast on the inner leg.

· Gruntled
3,775 Posts
My favorite by far are the Pearl Izumi Microsensor Pro. They're expensive, but in all seriousness, I think a really good pair of shorts is the single best equipment upgrade available - better than new wheels, frames, components, etc.

· Registered
960 Posts
Just a sidenote.... The Performance Ultras aren't all that bad, decent price, and their return policy makes it worth at least trying them to see if they work for you....

Granted they aren't as Sexy as Assos Bibs... But whatever.

· Registered
473 Posts
When you all mention bibs "not lasting", what is it that is giving out? I have shorts several years old that still work for me, although I don't ride nearly as much as many of you here.

As for the OP, I have LG Alveo and Sugoi RS bibs and both have been great. They're my first bibs and just got them this year, so I can't speak to the endurance factor.

· Registered
902 Posts
Capoforma M1 and Signature (pricey) - these are tops of the list
Castelli Cronos (sorta pricey) - I like these but not as much as Capo
Castelli Squadra (long sleeve) TT skinsuit- not bibs but still very nice
Demarchi Contour (pricey) - tops before I got Capo bibs but still comfortable
Pactimo (team kit) - well, sublimation looks faded when wearing and, they just suck
Pearl Izumi 3D Pro - okay - used mainly for off-road
Sugoi RS Flex - lycra is a bit thin and chamois takes a few minutes to get situated
Verge Sport bibs/skinsuit (old team kit) - nice but not as comfortable as Capoforma

· Registered
902 Posts
rochrunner said:
When you all mention bibs "not lasting", what is it that is giving out?
From a personal perspective, I would say a variety of things can apply to 'not lasting'. I tried some Hincapie clothing last year and aside from the fact that it seems designed for taller/lankier body types, the surging of critical seams started to unravel within 2-3 training rides (3-4 hour jaunts). I think that often times the 'longevity' of lycra technical wear can be impacted by how the garment is cleaned after use. Unless used with the 'delicate' or 'hand wash' settings, wife and I have found that tossing cycling wear into washing machine with non-cycling clothing is not a good idea as we have seen some of our friends, who despite purchasing new, pricey shorts or bibs, the garment seems develop a somewhat transparent sheen to the hind quarters after only a couple laundry cycles.

Not directly 'wear' related, I will add that careful consideration should be given to color choices for shorts and bibs as many manufacturers are offering bibs in non-traditional colors such as white, blue, and yellow. One of the lady's my wife rides with purchased some very pricey Assos kit in yellow only to later find out on her first ride (a hot and humid day) that the shorts had a tendency to become nearly see through should the rider be prone to sweating - who doesn't when it is 100% humidity. Suffice to say, before that day we were not aware of that tatoo and 'when did you get a tatoo' has kind of become the default query in a paceline should someone opt for see-through shorts or bibs. :cool:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.