Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm new to this forum and am seeking some singlespeed/fixed frame advice.

I'm considering building a ss/fixed road bike (I've bent too many der. hangers, and I love my old singlespeed, converted 80's Schwinn :) )

Stock frames are my preference, and yes, I know that custom is an option from a number of different builders (IF, CoMotion, etc.). Steel is nice, but aluminum is good too; I'd prefer to stay away from exotic materials (carbon, titanium, etc.) due to cost and other issues. I'd like standard or compact road geometry, not track geometry (like on a Bianchi Pista).

So: Steel, stock frame, ss/fixed compatible, standard road or compact geometry...please let me know what frames you like/dislike, or what you'd advise based on your personal riding expertise.

Many thanks.

Mr. P.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
I dont know much, but would like to see Giant Bowery, and Specialized Langster discussed here..

other than that you can anwyas get an old road bike that has long slanted drop outs..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Gunnar Street Dog.

A plus for you is that Schwinn heritage. I put 20,000+ miles on one before I upgraded to a Waterford (MarkS is riding it now), LenJ has one but is just about to upgrade to a Kirk (j's haiku is gettin that one).

A really good ride.

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/streetdog.php
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MB1, I was wondering about the Gunnar Streetdog; I seem to hear only good things about that frame, so I might put that one on the list.

I just found out about the Lemond Fillmore. I wasn't aware of it, but at around $950 for the whole bike, it looks decent when you consider the frame and spec. (especially compared to the Specialized Langster, which for $700.00 seems a bit overpriced considering its parts list).

Anyone have input on the Lemond please?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
I'm the local Surly cheerleader, so I have to put in a plug for my all-time favorite frame, the Steamroller. 4130 steel, no unneeded braze-ons, room for big tires, elegant flat-top fork, all for about $400 new. Build it the way you want it.

Also look at the Milwaukee Orange One if you want something slightly more obscure, or any of Tony's fixed offerings from IRO.

Kogswell, NYCBikes, Soma, or Fisso are other under-the-radar brands, or go more mainstream with Jamis, KHS, or Raleigh.

Have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Check out Van Dessel's Country Road Bob. SS w/flip flop hub. Can go geared (but why would you???). Canti brakes, set up for cross if you so desire.
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
MB1, how's the clearance for larger tires. Gunnar says clearance for 25c. How about 28c or larger? If 25c is the max it would be somewhat small for my tastes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Mr. Peabody said:
Thanks MB1, I was wondering about the Gunnar Streetdog; I seem to hear only good things about that frame, so I might put that one on the list.

I just found out about the Lemond Fillmore. I wasn't aware of it, but at around $950 for the whole bike, it looks decent when you consider the frame and spec. (especially compared to the Specialized Langster, which for $700.00 seems a bit overpriced considering its parts list).

Anyone have input on the Lemond please?
I have a 2005 LeMond Fillmore--it's a really nice riding bike, IMO. Road geometry, definitely, which is what you say you want. I really like the OX Platinum frame better than I liked their 853 frames from a few year ago and the thing is pretty nicely tacked together. Back to back, I liked it much more than the (admittedly cheaper) off-the-rack fixie competition available at the time. Parts are a bit of a mix, but everything is entirely functional and the wheels actually seem pretty good. I may sell mine, but only because I'm converting a Serotta frame that I really, really, like. I think the Fillmore is a very good bike for the money.
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
The old one'shave clearance.....

Mel Erickson said:
MB1, how's the clearance for larger tires. Gunnar says clearance for 25c. How about 28c or larger? If 25c is the max it would be somewhat small for my tastes.
for up to 32...but the new one's only clear 25"s.

I'd get an old one.

Len
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
Second the street dog......

MB1 said:
A plus for you is that Schwinn heritage. I put 20,000+ miles on one before I upgraded to a Waterford (MarkS is riding it now), LenJ has one but is just about to upgrade to a Kirk (j's haiku is gettin that one).

A really good ride.

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/streetdog.php
and you can get it with either a steel or carbon fork.
and best of al, unlike many of the SS/Fixie's out there, it comes standard in Road geometry so you can mimic your road setup easily.

The list price on this bike has not changed since 2003.

Len
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
djg said:
I have a 2005 LeMond Fillmore--it's a really nice riding bike, IMO. Road geometry, definitely, which is what you say you want. I really like the OX Platinum frame better than I liked their 853 frames from a few year ago and the thing is pretty nicely tacked together. Back to back, I liked it much more than the (admittedly cheaper) off-the-rack fixie competition available at the time. Parts are a bit of a mix, but everything is entirely functional and the wheels actually seem pretty good. I may sell mine, but only because I'm converting a Serotta frame that I really, really, like. I think the Fillmore is a very good bike for the money.
Thanks for the input djg,

I think the Lemond might be close to what I'm looking for; the price seems right, now I just need to get to my local shop to test ride one in my size. I checked the geometry on Lemond's site, and it seems pretty standard. I was under the impression that most Lemonds have top tubes which are slightly longer than usual, but I may be mistaken. I know fit is difficult to assess from one rider to another, but what's your general experience with the bike's fit/feel? Also, since you mention the parts spec., is there anything you'd suggest swapping out from the start?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top