Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a cheep cross bike that I converted to a town bike a few years ago that I want to turn back in to a cross/gravel bike. Whats better V or cantilever brakes?

·
Registered
242 Posts
It depends. Whatever you decide to choose, make sure it matches the cable pull of your levers. Or you risk poor braking with no modulation or grabby brakes. There are pros & cons to both depending on how you plan on using them.

I've been using mine mostly on the road & I find the stopping power of mini-v's very good especially on downhills.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
There's more to it than just v vs Canti as some of each suck and some are good but generally speaking V brakes are stronger. I've read modulation is interior with V but haven't really noticed a difference myself.

You also have to consider clearance. Canti's give you more. But you need to be using pretty massive tires for most V to be a problem so chances are clearance wouldn't be an issue.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, if you are using road bars with STI shifters, they won't pull enough cable for V-brakes to give you effective braking. So cantilevers are your only option.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I've been happy with Avid Shorty brakes with my road levers. They offer lots of adjustment and standard pad holders. They come with 3 different straddle cable lengths that allows you to tailor the brakes to the levers and the type of "feel" that you want.

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, if you are using road bars with STI shifters, they won't pull enough cable for V-brakes to give you effective braking. So cantilevers are your only option.
They make helper pulleys for them. I don't know the ratio of the TRP CX8.4 though, they don't look like the same length of a 'conventional' v brake.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Here's a table with V-brake arm lengths:
Tech Tip: V-Brake Arm Lengths – GRAVELBIKE
There are also 3 different amounts of cable pull depending on what road brake lever you have. Match levers with brakes to achieve the power, snappiness, and rim/pad clearance you desire. I like TRP CX8.4s with Shimano 11spd levers but people with weaker hands may like a 90 or 95mm brake with these levers that pull the most cable of any road brake lever. Of course they'll have less pad clearance.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have Shimano V-brakes of which I forget the model with 5700 levers and Kool Stop pads on my Surly. These brakes work super. Better than my 6800 brakes on another bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts