Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I was using a FSA TEAM Issue Carbon Pro cranks...

that came in S 9/10 or C10 rings. octalink cranks are fading away. But you can still find New DA9 and FSA Octalink cranks on ebay.
take off the rings and buy 10spd specific rings and sell the new 9spd ones on ebay!

There you go!

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
several issues...

I assume you've got a bike with an octalink BB that you're trying to reuse? If it's a relatively new DA model, perhaps it's worth it, but Ultegra BBs are too cheap to let that affect your choice of a crank.

The octalink design is disappearing fast. Using an ISIS BB is every bit as good. ISIS BBs have been improved so durability should not be an issue. In fact, octalinks suffer frome the same basic problem, which is an oversized spindle leaving too little room for bearings inside the BB shell. FSA makes ISIS BBs with outboard bearings, but they won't work with many of the older cranks.

As for the chainrings, it seems that the shimano 10 chain has had problems with some cranks, orginally touted as 9/10 compatible, but it's usually wide-spaced compact cranks that suffered those problems. FSA redesigned the shifting ramps for shimano 10 chains.

FWIW, I've just tried a campy ultra narrow chain (same width as a shimano 10 chain) with an FSA 9/10 triple crank and it works fine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I actually have about 12 new ultegra BBs (which is one reason) and I run an SRM that's octalink (another). Basically, I'll be racing in Belgium and while I want to train on the SRM I'd rather not break it in half when I crash, so easy swapability is key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.