Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Best Online Handbuilts

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  RS2 Rider 
#1 ·
I am in the process of getting some handbuilt wheels and was curious if anybody has any information on the best place to order. There are no wheelbuilders in my area so I am forced to order online. I am considering Bicyclewheelwarehouse.com, Excelsports.com, Coloradocyclists.com and prowheelbuilder.com

I'm looking at Mavic CXP-33's with ultegra or dura ace hubs. I'm 6'2'' and weigh 200.

Any experience with these builders would be helpful.

B-T-W - I ordered a set from BWW in several years ago and they turned out to be a good set and got a lot miles from them. I called with a question and got a funky answering message - are they still in business?

#3 ·
I can vouch for Excelsports. I bought a set of handbuilts from them in 2001 with Revolution spokes that I rode until the rims wore out. Excellent build quality, I raced on those wheels and beat the snot out of them and hardly ever had to touch them.

There are many other great wheelbuilders out there (and on this forum) who will also get called out, so be prepared to take a 'drink from the firehose' as your original list probably gets expanded as this thread evolves...

#5 ·
RS2 Rider said:
After doing an internet search i have found other builders as well who have favorable ratings. In addition to the Mavic CXP-33's i am considering DT-Swiss 465's. My only concern is other forum post indicate tire mounting is a bear.

I have the DT RR585's, and read the same thing about tire mounting, but my Conti GP4000's went right on without a problem. Didn't even need levers or any tools, just my thumbs.

#6 ·
Good to know...thinking of going the Swiss route, many post indicate a good solid well built rim. Also leaning towards BWW. They have good prices and my past wheel build was good. The only concern I have with BWW is communication. Their phone messge system is kind of goofy and haven't heard back on emails. Oh well, I guess building a good wheel is most important.

#7 ·
RS2 Rider said:
Good to know...thinking of going the Swiss route, many post indicate a good solid well built rim. Also leaning towards BWW. They have good prices and my past wheel build was good. The only concern I have with BWW is communication. Their phone messge system is kind of goofy and haven't heard back on emails. Oh well, I guess building a good wheel is most important.
It's just an opinion but it appears that BWW is catering more towards those who know what they want rather than those who need help with their option choices. We've seen a few "I can't get an answer from them" comments but almost no "They are poor at filling my order" comments. Their build quality is exemplary too.

#9 ·
I switched from Campy rims to DT (one set 465, the other 585). From my years with Campy, which are a total PITA to mount, I use primarily Vittoria and Vredstein tires. Both were still hard to mount on Campy, but are a cinch to mount on the DT. Continental seem to work pretty well also. Michelin's were too tight to try on Campy, and I've not used them in years.

FYI - one set was built up by Excel Sports. Great pricing, superior build. True out of the box and I've not touched them in a thousand miles or so.

#10 ·
I've heard Excel Sports has built good wheels. I'm also looking for a second set and will consider them. My first set of hand-builts were with BWW four years ago and worked well, thus purchasing again. My only concern with BWW is it is hard to speak to somebody and get emails returned. My emails are generally tech questions regarding their in-house products. Several other people also indicated the 465 wheels are easy to install tires - i ride conti's. I do like the look of their rims and quality appears to be high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.