Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Time to start thinking about getting the taxes in order. I'm sure many of you have completed already. Was thinking of trying one of the free online filing services. Anyone have any comments on the one they used or looked into using?

·
gazing from the shadows
27,290 Posts
Time to start thinking about getting the taxes in order. I'm sure many of you have completed already. Was thinking of trying one of the free online filing services. Anyone have any comments on the one they used or looked into using?
If it's free, then you are the product. So read the EULA carefully would be my suggestion.

I have nothing more, the free ones generally won't work for my return, or didn't last time I looked. And since I am too cheap to pay for the software, I still do paper.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I've used Tax Act the past several years. It has free federal filing if your return is very simple, but they will charge you add-ons if you want something more complex.

·
Registered
20,810 Posts
I've used TurboTax online for years. Never had a problem. It's easy to use. They have a free version if you meet these requirements. My college kid uses it.
•Made less than 100k
•Don't own a home or rental property
•Didn't sell investments
•Don't own a business or have 1099 income
•Don't have major medical expenses

I use the deluxe version which is only $35. Well worth it to me. I don't use most of the features. They store all tax records from year to year which is nice to have backup records. Most of your stuff gets imported the next year making filing simpler. State taxes cost extra, but my state has their own free website which I use.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Tax Act works fine and is free. I don't file a state return.

this year's version seems more user friendly than previous ones.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I happily used Turbo Tax, paid version, for years until things got pretty complicated, then I went to an accountant. One year, tried HR block and did not like it.

Free tax software often hooks you by getting you to pay for state filing.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
I happily used Turbo Tax, paid version, for years until things got pretty complicated, then I went to an accountant. One year, tried HR block and did not like it.

Free tax software often hooks you by getting you to pay for state filing.

Depends on the company. My taxes are very straight forward, so I can do the 1040EZ form. This year Turbo Tax was free both state and federal. Last year state was $29.99, this year $0.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I have always used Taxact until this year when I got married, but filing single it was easy to use.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
Turbo Tax for federal. $40 I believe. Home owners, some stock sales, educational and travel expenses, charitable giving, etc. Information from that we use to file state forms ourselves on paper..saves $20+ and our state forms are super easy.
takes about 3-4 hours in total. easy money.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have used Turbo Tax for the past 7 years. Mine is fairly complicated with rental properties and investments but it guides you so you don't have to have slept at a Holiday Inn to figure it out,

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
just did my recently deceased dad's final income tax return using Tax Act today...took 45 min and cost nothing.

his CPA was going to charge $400 to file...

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Taxact the last several years. "Deluxe" package (which includes state) for less than $20.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
TurboTax for the last several years...and I'm a CPA with a very complicated return....piece of cake.

IMO

Len

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.