Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , i need a good advise for a front small but strong ( 800 lumens + )
road bike light.
Any experience on any brand that can share with me ? as i can't decide what to buy.
Thank you

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Do a search. There are many long threads where you'll find much useful information.

I like my MagicShine, FWIW.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
wow, 800 and small.

I know there are some that have small head units with an attached battery pack that's easy to attach.

Head over to mtbr.com as they did a light round up recently.

·
Registered
41 Posts
MagicShine or Seca 800 would be the smallest I know of, the Seca perhaps a bit more compact, just the battery is separate. Seca makes up to I think a 1700 or 1800 lumen light, but the battery life can't be good on that.

Probably still suitable for spotlighting deer off a mountain bike, though.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Here are a few review sites with beam shots. These need to be viewed with the usual grain of salt. Also, LED and battery technology is evolving quickly. For my uses, I prefer a one-piece light and got a Cygolite Expilion 700. For 2x the light, redundancy, greater conspicuity, more versatility and/or longer run time, I run two.

Bicycle Light Comparison Guide - ModernBIKE.com
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/general-cycling-discussion/bonking-times-300914.html
Bike Lights Buyers Guide
The big road.cc lights test: the data | road.cc | Road cycling news, Bike reviews, Commuting, Leisure riding, Sportives and more

·
Re-Cyclist
1,568 Posts
There are dozens of lights of all kinds available. Seems hundreds of them appear new every year. The bike magazines review them. We talk about them here endlessly. There a lot of good ones that will meet your needs. Just find one you like and buy it. Only YOU can tell what will work for you. These threads are only popularity contests.

G

·
Philips BF48L20BBLX1 SafeRide Black LED Battery Driven BikeLight : Amazon.com : Automotive

This is what I use on my commuter, and on solo road rides when I'm returning after dark (usually stick to MUP's or bike bolevards as much as I can at night though). AFAIK this is the only headlight on the market that has a shaped beam pattern similar to a car or motorcycle headlight, so it's one of the most effective ones lumen-for-lumen:

Beam gets progressively brighter at angles closer to horizontal, then sharply cuts off above horizontal. It also left-right asymmetric (lower cutoff on the left) so it won't dazzle oncoming traffic. I've notced a lot less bird flipping / high beams in retribution from oncoming traffic since switching to this.

That said my big complaint is the Philips light is excessively heavy IMO at about 300g. They could've used significantly thinner metal in lots of places (I've toyed with the thought of milling it down a bit)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You need to try led lights. They are the best option available now.
Good advice, but superfluous. All the good lights on the market today are LED. Incandescent lights of any type (including HID, halogen, etc.) are essentially obsolete for battery-operated lights. The greater efficiency of LED's is an overwhelming advantage, and once the very bright ones came on the market several years ago, the old technology was done for.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I would recommend the Lezyne LED lights because they have rechargeable 18650 batteries that are not proprietary. So, you can buy extra batteries and carry them as spares to extend run times or as backups. Light & Motion also has some excellent lights but they use proprietary batteries, so you can't carry extras or replace them yourself. You can buy 18650 batteries on-line for a mere fraction of what the bike lighting companies charge for replacements.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,842 Posts

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I've been night commuting for about 20 years. What you can get for around $100 i significantly better than what I paid $250 for 10-15 years ago. I've currently got a Magic Shine 900 in its third season. No, its not 900 lumens ... probably more like 600, but its brighter, longer lasting and recharges a lot faster than the crappy Niterider lights I used to use. And I was usually lucky to get 3 years out of those things. Its really hard to beat these lights in the bang for the buck metric. Magic Shine makes several different models of varying brightness. Frankly, you don't need a super bright light. About half of my ride is on a pitch black bike path, and I can see fine with my cheapo $89 Magic Shine 900.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Magicshine off Ebay.
The cheaper one is now 1200 Lumens.
I just researched a light for my daughters bike and decided on the Cygolite Metro 300. I think it is bright enough for most riding and they also have a 420 lumen version.
The battery is built in and can be charged from USB which makes it more convenient than the Magicshine with its separate battery pack. Also the handlebar clamp is much nicer than the rubber band that comes with the Magicshine which i found doesn't hold the light in place very well and ended up mounting it to real handlebar clamp.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.