Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can only find a Jandd which looks the business but thought I check in for any other reccomendations.

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FFP

Have a week's tour lined up in September - we're not camping and I'm limiting my luggae to a Carradice Long Flap Saddlebag (22 litre capacity), a 5 liter handlebar bag and want a a frame pack to finish things off

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks to ispoke and hjalti - the mtbr thread was great - I'd never thought of custom, it opens up a number of possibilities - probably overkill for road touring when there's so many products available - the MEC bag with 6 litres capacity is huge - and cheap - probably not as high quality as the Jandd - is it just me or is the Wallingford too nice to use??...

·
Registered
121 Posts
M.J. said:
thanks to ispoke and hjalti - the mtbr thread was great - I'd never thought of custom, it opens up a number of possibilities - probably overkill for road touring when there's so many products available - the MEC bag with 6 litres capacity is huge - and cheap - probably not as high quality as the Jandd - is it just me or is the Wallingford too nice to use??...
MEC generally has very good quality gear. Being a Co-op they keep pricing reasonable. I happen to be going to a MEC store today, I can check the bag out and give you my impression of it's quality.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,136 Posts
I use an MEC Wedge XPD under my seat. I fits nicely, holds 2.5 litres of stuff and was reasonably priced. Great quality too. I'll probably pick up some more MEC stuff when I'm back home this summer.
Cheers, Wayne

G

·
M.J. said:

MEC gear is for hardcore outdoorsy types. There is no cheap or second rate gear in that store.

I use the MEC messenger bag. The thing is not pretty or colourful but is is HUGE, it is cheap and indestructable. Mine has been used every day for four years, it goes to and from work, it goes on airplanes, it wenty on a cruise. it goes on every vacation we have and is literally used every day.

The [email protected] thing looks like the day it came out the store. It is also completely waterproof, not bad for $59 !

·
Registered
121 Posts
Geet said:
MEC generally has very good quality gear. Being a Co-op they keep pricing reasonable. I happen to be going to a MEC store today, I can check the bag out and give you my impression of it's quality.

The MEC frame bag is very well constructed and finished. Good materials too. I buy MEC stuff all the time.

As the others have said, MEC gear is pretty hard-core stuff. You could equip for an Everest expedition in one of the stores.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
MEC & Wallingford

M.J. said:
...the MEC bag with 6 litres capacity is huge - and cheap - probably not as high quality as the Jandd - is it just me or is the Wallingford too nice to use??...
No such thing as too nice to use. If it suits your purpose and your fancy, use it hard!

One note about MEC - it's been a while since I browsed their website for backpacking gear. As I recall, there was a Canadian pricing issue that got a lot of attention on the web a year or two ago. Many consumer goods are sold in other countries cheaper than in the USA. As I recall, MEC established a separate USA sales website with higher pricing for goods shipping to the states. That may not matter with their house brand gear, but for name brands it made a big difference in cost...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.