Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Teammate of mine just got an eBay carbon frame delivered from Hong Kong. This is either the best or worst bike packing job ever. Guess he'll find out when he opens it.

They don't have bike boxes in Hong Kong?

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
So that's where my ginormous model vagina ended up that I bid on Ebay! Or is it my ginormous crucifix? Whatever it is, it's mine!

· The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
The question is: how are you going to open it? Box cutter? Scissors? Find one end of the shipping tape and start unpeeling it? This could be a good one for a photo series.

I wonder if he put spacers in the rear dropouts and between the fork ends.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He just sent me more pics. It was wrapped in a bunch of of layers of bubble wrap, then covered in yellow tape like a mummy. It must have taken them a while to do it. I guess that's why shipping was only $45 from Hong Kong.

He used a pair of scissors to get off most of the padding. He says the down tube and seat tube padding is really tight, so he's got to find a little blade for those.

Not a scratch on the frame, he says. He says it's obvious nothing ever been installed on the frame. BB threads and cable guides are unmarked.

Not bad for $287 + shipping.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, well, my teammate's not a big eBay guy, but he asked me to help him find an inexpensive carbon frame. I posted about the search here. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=137960

He saw this frame on eBay and decided to give it shot. Yep, I read last year that the Europeans were considering banning importation of carbon frames from China because of failure issues. The Chinese responded by supposedly cleaning up their act and now require manufacturers to test their frames in gov't-approved facilities.

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Since I come from a transportation background, I look at things a little different..

While it appears to be a bad packing job, I see some benefits of packing that way..

1. It will be always hand carried....you don't have to worry about some forklift driver running fork lift blades through it....
2. It will most likely be placed on top of the other freight....The shape doesn't allow freight to be stacked on top of the frame...

The above are the two most common ways freight is damaged in transit....

I'm not sure I'd pack a frame that way, put it's not as bad as it looks.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.