Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From http://www.roble.net/marquis/tubular

"Some glues work better than others in hot weather. Wolber tends to do better than Clement or Vittoria whereas Continential and Tubasti are not recommended for warm weather at all. 3M Fast-Tac is no longer recommended since its formulation was changed a few years ago and the new product has some water solubility problems. Other 3M adhesives are no longer recommended either due to ever-changing ingredients and effectiveness."

Anyone know where to get Wolber glue or any good place to get tubular stuff? I know that World Class is a good place but they don't carry what I am looking for such as tub of glue instead of tubes and Wolber etc.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Vittoria Mastik 1 is by far the best glue there is. Conti tires (the more expensive ones, not the cheap old Giro brand) need to use Conti glue, since the adhesive that holds the base tape on doesn't like other glues, and the tape will come off. Tubasti is best when used as either a quick glue for cold-weather usage, or when used as wallpaper glue. FasTack should be left only for racers who need to mount tires in a hurry, and should never be used with Conti tires (base tape again..).
I've used Wobbler before, and I can tell you that it doesn't hold nearly as well as Vittoria Mastik1 does. Sounds like somebody is forwarding some advertising [email protected] from Wobbler.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,566 Posts
Conti and Vittoria (clear) are by far, the best. I remember a test that was printed in the USCF monthly mag. about 5-6 years ago, that showed that they were 20% stronger than other glues. Hot, cold, it didn't make any difference. Wolber, Clement and Vittoria Red weren't very good at all. Vittoria Red was terrible in the heat.

·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vittoria Mastic1...

MR_GRUMPY said:
Conti and Vittoria (clear) are by far, the best. I remember a test that was printed in the USCF monthly mag. about 5-6 years ago, that showed that they were 20% stronger than other glues. Hot, cold, it didn't make any difference. Wolber, Clement and Vittoria Red weren't very good at all. Vittoria Red was terrible in the heat.
and Vittoria clear the same thing?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,566 Posts
yes.
Both Conti and Vitt mastic1 are a clear glue. Both can be bought in tubs.
Yes, Conti base tape comes off easy is you aren't careful. I try not to pull off Conti's just to put on another rim. Barge Cement will glue the base tape back on.
Vittoria base tape never starts to lift at the edges.

·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So where d'ya get...

MR_GRUMPY said:
yes.
Both Conti and Vitt mastic1 are a clear glue. Both can be bought in tubs.
Yes, Conti base tape comes off easy is you aren't careful. I try not to pull off Conti's just to put on another rim. Barge Cement will glue the base tape back on.
Vittoria base tape never starts to lift at the edges.
Your tubular supplies? I haven't been able find not even one place who carrry any tub-o-glu.

Barge Cement? Really?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.