Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Old Skool
804 Posts
Pasta

Before a short ride, whatever. Before a long ride, pasta with marinara and cheese. I'll even eat it for breakfast. It is easy to digest and stays with you.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
Before a morning ride, I usually have a bagel w/ peanut butter, a banana, and a tall glass of either orange juice or water. Before an afternoon ride, I often eat 2 or 3 peanut butter & honey sandwiches and wash them down with plenty of water.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,734 Posts
(organic) fat free vanilla yogurt mixed with granola, raisins, and a banana. iffin it's gonna be a real long one, i add a slice of toast w/ peanut butter. okay, i'm going to go eat breakfast again....

·
Registered
137 Posts
snapdragen said:
Mulitgrain waffle, peanut butter and a sliced banana.
Peanut butter always sounds good to me, but then I end up with the peanut butter burps an hour into the ride. There is nothing worse than burping up peanut butter, if you ask me.

I stick with oatmeal with butter and brown sugar. Can't go wrong!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
jaseone said:
Whatever you usually eat around that time is the general rule of thumb, personally I eat very little usually something like a muffin and wash it down with some coffee and some orange juice. Although if you usually eat a fried breakfast with a big side of pancakes then you may want to try something different. ;)
Honestly, my pre-ride breakfast (and this would be for a long Saturday ride, say in the 4 hour range) is a stack of pancakes (make the batter with a few eggs) and some bacon. Syrup too. I find the addition of fat and protien to really slow the burn of the carbs, and renders me virtually bonkproof.

Based on my powertap's reports, I can burn upwards of 2500 calories on a long ride like this. There's really no risk of getting fat from eating a big old school breakfast, even if it is 1200 calories. Really, it needs to be A LOT of calories, and it needs to be consumed at least 2 hours before throwing leg over saddle. This kind of meal will absolutely render me bonkproof (well to the 4 hour mark anyhow).

In order to consume enough oatmeal to fuel me, I think I'd need to eat about four cups of DRY oatmeal. I don't think that's possible.

For races where I have to drive, I'll pre-make a bagel sandwich the night before, composed of a bagel, two eggs, and three slices of bacon. Wrap 'er up in foil and eat it on the drive to the race.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
sianne said:
Peanut butter always sounds good to me, but then I end up with the peanut butter burps an hour into the ride. There is nothing worse than burping up peanut butter, if you ask me.

I stick with oatmeal with butter and brown sugar. Can't go wrong!
I burp any and everything I injest. How do I stop?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't know how you guys get away with just oatmeal. Man, that stuff just goes right through me. If I eat it in the morning on a non-riding day at around 06:30, then I'm starvin by 10. I gotta have something with substance, and yes wait an hour or two before I ride ideally.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
ampastoral said:
(organic) fat free vanilla yogurt mixed with granola, raisins, and a banana. iffin it's gonna be a real long one, i add a slice of toast w/ peanut butter. okay, i'm going to go eat breakfast again....

I'm the same 'cept my yogurt is lowfat plain with granola on long rides I add toast but nothing fatty like PB or butter as I need to drop a few pounds before July.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Cofee, a breakfast sandwhich, a lot of water, and an hour or two. That's always given me the best results. I'll gorge like crazy after the ride, my metabolism's jacked up at that point so it's all good.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nothing.....

If you don't have at least 3 hours before you ride don't have anything. The VERY important thing is to eat right on the ride. After 20 years of doing otherwise I changed within the last year. I didn't believe it would work at first but thought I would give it a try just to prove it a stupid idea, but I was the one that was proved wrong. Now I have absolutely nothing before the ride, but start on maltodextrin (personal choice is Hammer Nutrition's Sustained Energy) within 15 minutes of starting and keep up a rate of 300 calories an hour. Since using this strategy I have had my best rides every. No GI problems and a nice even burn of energy and I am never hungry, not even at the end of the long rides. I can easily do 3,4,5-7 hour rides without eating before the ride and just using the right fueling strategy during the ride.

Using this strategy I also had one of my best Marathons ever at LA in March with a wicked negative split and fastest last 2 miles ever. I know it sounds wrong, but you might give it a try.

·
Registered
154 Posts
ampastoral said:
Similar rig here: Kashi crunch cereal (used to use granola but switched to Sam's club), fat free vanilla yoghurt (organic if available), 1 cup mixed fruit (whatever's available), cinnamon and honey. Never had this repeat on me during a ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I usually have pasta with parmesan and a coke,and then I read an article in this month's Bicycling magazine about the US junior team training camp in Belgium,and lo and behold that's what they eat pre-ride.Works well for me but now I feel real guilty about the amount of coke I'm consuming

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.