Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Folsom City Blues...
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase my first GoPro. And, also interested in what yall feel is the best placement. Helmet or handlebar?
thanx in advance

·
Neophyte
2,111 Posts
Seems to me helmet or even chest would be great... I like the idea of being able to point the camera where you're looking.

But the implementation I'm using is under the out-front Garmin mount. This can be done two ways... one is to use the Garmin mounts that have a quarter turn lower flange meant for Varia light or VIRB camera. That's nice because it's quick to get the camera off, also if you swap between light and camera. Another option is to get 3rd party go-pro mount that screws on to most normal Garmin mounts. I've done that as well before I switched to the Varia mount.

Here are a couple videos from "under the Gamin" mount location on one of my bikes:

Here is a random chest mount video I found on YouTube:

·
Registered
18,333 Posts
Looking to purchase my first GoPro. And, also interested in what yall feel is the best placement. Helmet or handlebar?
thanx in advance
There is no "best" placement. It's all what you want to do with it. Are you riding solo or in groups? Are you using it for protection/evidence? Or just documenting your ride?
Sometimes I run mine on the handlebar. Sometimes on a saddle mount. Sometimes both at the same time. Sometimes on a selfie stick.

Handlebar. I can't stand those helmet-cam videos; they give me motion sickness!
On a MTB, a helmet cam isn't so bad as you're more focused on the trail ahead of you.
But on a road bike... yea a helmet cam is awful. I tried it once and never used the video. Too much looking around causes motion sickness, and I don't get motion sick.

·
Folsom City Blues...
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to me helmet or even chest would be great... I like the idea of being able to point the camera where you're looking.

But the implementation I'm using is under the out-front Garmin mount. This can be done two ways... one is to use the Garmin mounts that have a quarter turn lower flange meant for Varia light or VIRB camera. That's nice because it's quick to get the camera off, also if you swap between light and camera. Another option is to get 3rd party go-pro mount that screws on to most normal Garmin mounts. I've done that as well before I switched to the Varia mount.

Here are a couple videos from "under the Gamin" mount location on one of my bikes:

Here is a random chest mount video I found on YouTube:
Thank you for your informed reply to my query Jetdog. To your question about how I intend to use it, pretty much to record my rides and for documentation if I get into a negative situation. The way you have yours set up is perfect form my needs. On the handlebars will do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm late to the party, but I vote for a helmet mount. The ability to face the camera where your head is turned is indispensable. A handlebar setup might have less shakiness, but the microphone will pick up every tiny road vibration. This makes for annoying videos. If you're using the camera for evidence against motor vehicle drivers, the helmet mount is superior because it will allow you to capture the driver's face. You can't do this with a handlebar setup unless you lift the bars and turn them towards the driver while you're stopped. Having their face (or a description of them) is vital in getting the police to investigate. If you can't identify the vehicle operator and no physical contact occurred, the police will likely say they can't do anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts