Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last bike was puchased in the mid 80's so I am a bit behind the times when it comes to all the new equipment. Looking to buy a new bike soon so I have allot of catching up to do. I want to be able work on the new bike like I did with my old so what is the best book out there? Zin, Bicycling Mag's book, Park Tool's book seem to be the top choices. Any others? Thanks very much.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
i like Zinn's books. I've never seen the Park book, but I've looked on their web site for a couple of things. If I had to limit myself to 1 & only 1...Zinn.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Lennard Zinn just came out with an updated edition. The only thing I don't like is, he uses drawings vs. photos. Down to earth explanations with extra sections on frame sizing, wheelbuilding, and bike fit.

Park Tool gets my vote as well. Detailed, professional, and uses photos. Looks like this updated edition will be published soon.

I also have the Barnett Bicycle Institute SET of manuals. Easy to follow; don't be intimidated by the fact it costs over $100 and comes in FOUR VOLUMES. Actually, it appears to come only in CD form now.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I like Barnett, and I also like, silly as this sounds, Bicycling Magazine's Complete Guide to Bicycle Maintenance book, it's loaded with photos and thankfully written by Jim Langley and not the dopes at the magazine. But today I would never buy a book, why? Because there are so many websites including Park and You Tube that can give you all that you need on any part repair or replacement for free. But if you need a book consider used.

By the way, the "best" repair book is very subjective, you have to find a book that sets with the way you think, some books don't work for your personality and you end up thinking your not good at mechanics and give up and take it in, you need to look at as many as you can and decide which one you like. I didn't happen to like the Zinn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.