Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been gravitating more toward early ragtime/blues like Blind Blake and Blind Boy Fuller, which I think sounds much better on a resonator than on a standard acoustic.

So I'm looking around for a metal body tricone. Any suggestions? Looking for something in the under $750 range for now (not really good enough to justify spending more. It's just something I enjoy doing for me and no one else)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Both recording king and Regal make knock offs of the tri plate at around that price range
I have a National Tenor from around 1920 and a Dobro Spanish Neck Single Resonator but with an all metal body from the 30s

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. I was looking at a National. A little more than I want to spend.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
thanks. I was looking at a National. A little more than I want to spend.
you can find Nationals for around 1 - 2 grand, that was above your price point
keep your eyes on flea markets, garage sales. I would up with both of mine for a Song. Takamine made one in the 80s (single cone) that was a great guitar as well. You may find one of those for a song

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
I'm a big fan of Recording King's offerings. Otherwise, the good ol' Dobro brand is now distributed by Gibson and is pretty good as well.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
i like republics, as well.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can find Nationals for around 1 - 2 grand, that was above your price point
keep your eyes on flea markets, garage sales. I would up with both of mine for a Song. Takamine made one in the 80s (single cone) that was a great guitar as well. You may find one of those for a song
I always have my eye open at flea markets. That's how I picked up a 12-string Guild for $25. I don't have that one anymore. Someone decided they wanted it more than I did and had the cash to prove it :D

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I finally bought one. I was in Guitar Center (yeah, I know...) looking for a decent 3/4 size lefty for my son (ended up buying a Yamaha and having it converted). Saw a Gretsch G9202 Honey Dripper hanging on the wall with a $500 price tag, but it had some issues which the tech said couldn't be repaired. They said it was bought new and returned because of the issues and should never have been put back out on the floor.

They said I could have it for what they had in it, which was $300, so I took it home. I fixed the neck problem - someone had run the truss rod all the way out and tightened it in the opposite direction, which put a huge bow in the neck. I simply ran it back in and was able to get it perfect. Then I fixed the action by replacing the crushed cone with a hand-spun Replogle from Stewmac.

Plays nice but I need to update my skill a little :)

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
So I finally bought one. I was in Guitar Center (yeah, I know...) looking for a decent 3/4 size lefty for my son (ended up buying a Yamaha and having it converted). Saw a Gretsch G9202 Honey Dripper hanging on the wall with a $500 price tag, but it had some issues which the tech said couldn't be repaired. They said it was bought new and returned because of the issues and should never have been put back out on the floor.

They said I could have it for what they had in it, which was $300, so I took it home. I fixed the neck problem - someone had run the truss rod all the way out and tightened it in the opposite direction, which put a huge bow in the neck. I simply ran it back in and was able to get it perfect. Then I fixed the action by replacing the crushed cone with a hand-spun Replogle from Stewmac.

Plays nice but I need to update my skill a little :)
my buddy ordered one of these. R.E. Phillips Metal Guitars

he ordered the small parlor

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
one of RE Phillips players is Valerie Turner. Carrying the torch for Etta Baker and BBQ Bob and the Peidmont Blues movement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.